Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Posting as spline instead of circle

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
m_lamarca
205 Views, 6 Replies

Posting as spline instead of circle

Why am I getting point to point splines, instead of a simple one or two line G02 move? 

What setting is causing this, and how do I change it?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
HughesTooling
in reply to: m_lamarca

Would help to have more info, preferably export as an f3d and share here.

What toolpath are you using? enabling smoothing might help but shouldn't be needed for 2d ops.

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
m_lamarca
in reply to: HughesTooling

It is all 2D. 2D Pocket was used. 

Simple following of a circle on a sketch, and it is posting out as completely faceted. I cut that out, and just ran a simple G2 J- line instead, because it shows on the part. 

attached

Message 4 of 7
seth.madore

It's interesting that it's doing this with a 2D Pocket toolpath.

That said, it's also not a toolpath I would have selected for this task. Consider using a 2D Contour instead (a very versatile toolpath). With "Show Toolpath Data" turned on, we get this:

2023-06-12_13h02_25.png

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 5 of 7
m_lamarca
in reply to: seth.madore

I get it, I didn’t program it in Fusion, our programmer did, and he can’t figure out why we are always getting code like I first posted, splines versus circles. I did remove a bunch of extraneous identifiable info from this file, and other operations that were in there, to post up, but I guess it still doesn’t answer the question. Why am I not getting g2/g3 circular interpolation, and instead getting splines, when posted to g code?

Message 6 of 7
seth.madore

That 2D Pocket is producing results like this, to me, appears to be a bug. Further investigation is required.

That said, it's also not the most ideal toolpath to be using for a feature such as this. That nomination would go to 2D Contour.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 7 of 7
m_lamarca
in reply to: seth.madore

interesting. 

I jumped on the computer, did 2d contour, and I did get a g2 radius output, although, it will require more work to get it where it is needed, I can go forward with this information. Seems like our programmer is using 2d pocket for a lot of things he shouldn’t, as we rarely get circular interpolation moves, and nearly always get splines. There must be other things we are missing here, for him to not be using that method. 

I do miss FeatureCam that I had at my last employer. 

thank you. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report