Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Posting All Operations as separate programs.

25 REPLIES 25
SOLVED
Message 1 of 26
jakenovotny
814 Views, 25 Replies

Posting All Operations as separate programs.

Hi Everyone,

I'm curious if there is a way that I can post all the operations as sperate programs. If anyone has any idea how to do, that would be great. I know it sounds weird that I want to post like that, but the company I work likes it that way. We aren't running production. Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks,

Jake Novotny

25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26

Hi @jakenovotny  ,

I know it does not sound ideal, but you can right click on the toolpath you want to export, select Create NC program and that will create the NC program for the toolpath you selected. 

Forum2.png

As far as I'm aware there isn't a more "automated" way to do it. 

Let me know if this helps.
Paolo

Paolo Bastianelli

Technical Consultant
Message 3 of 26

Yes, I have been doing that for a while. Now that I am Programming more and more, I am trying to automate it better. Thanks for your help anyway!!!

Message 4 of 26
GeorgeRoberts
in reply to: jakenovotny

As another alternative, depending on the post processor you're using, you might be able to use subprograms:

image.png

Using files for subprograms will output a new file for every operation.

You would probably want to safe start each operation as well, so might require a few small post changes.

-

George Roberts

Manufacturing Product manager
If you'd like to provide feedback and discuss how you would like things to be in the future, Email Me and we can arrange a virtual meeting!
Message 5 of 26

I have asked around and it'd be possible to automate this process using the API.

We have existing code that would help you. Would you know how to use the API though? In case you don't, I can send you some articles to guide you through an introduction to it.

Let me know,
Paolo

Paolo Bastianelli

Technical Consultant
Message 6 of 26

Yes, that would be awesome. I do not, but I'm sure I can figure it out after some articles. My email is jakenovotny@alplighting.com.

Message 7 of 26

Perfect, I'll send you the code and the link to an article by email. 

Thanks,
Paolo

Paolo Bastianelli

Technical Consultant
Message 8 of 26
krovina
in reply to: paolo.bastianelli

I'd be interrested in the script & article as well.. could you please share it? I hope there is a way without me having to sharing my e-mail on a public forum.

Thank you!

Adam

Message 9 of 26
paolo.bastianelli
in reply to: krovina

Hi @krovina ,

Sure, let me do some digging (I could barely remember what this thread was about when I saw the reply last night 😂). Meanwhile, you can send me your email address on a private message here on the forum.

I'll send over what you asked as soon as I manage to find it!

Thanks
Paolo

Paolo Bastianelli

Technical Consultant
Message 10 of 26
dames99
in reply to: paolo.bastianelli

PowerMILL does this natively. It would be nice to have this functionality included in Fusion. It's fairly common to post this way for machines with very little user memory and machines on robot cells.

Message 11 of 26

Could you send that over again. I actually never got to using it. I have a little down time and would like to be able to use it. Thanks again.

Message 12 of 26

Hi @jakenovotny and @krovina

I just sent to both of you the script you've asked for. It hasn't been updated since its creation, but I think it'll still do the job. Please let me know if you received it.

@dames99 I know PowerMill has this functionality as a built-in option, however our development team didn't implement it yet within Fusion. If you think it could be valuable to have it, I can open a task to request this (maybe) being added in the future. Please let me know so I can proceed.

I hope I could help.
Paolo

Paolo Bastianelli

Technical Consultant
Message 13 of 26
ArjanDijk

@paolo.bastianelli Why would you fix this with the API instead of the post as @GeorgeRoberts  

Inventor HSM and Fusion 360 CAM trainer and postprocessor builder in the Netherlands and Belgium.

Message 14 of 26

@ArjanDijk  at the time a colleague of mine just had the same request and wrote a quick script for it, so it was a good coincidence. I just shared it to give Jake an alternative method to use, I was in no way implying one way does it better than the other 😊

Paolo Bastianelli

Technical Consultant
Message 15 of 26

Is there any talk of just adding this option into fusion?

Message 16 of 26

At this point, by popular demand, I'll open a task 🙂 I'll update the thread with the task number later on. I'll add all of the feedback on this thread. As usual, we really appreciate all your contributions!

Paolo Bastianelli

Technical Consultant
Message 17 of 26
ArjanDijk

@paolo.bastianelli Can you send me a copy of the script?

Of course the main question here is before adding it to the UI: Why would you want this? Because your machine does not support M0 for a toolchange? Because you don't know how to start in the middle of a program?

Inventor HSM and Fusion 360 CAM trainer and postprocessor builder in the Netherlands and Belgium.

Message 18 of 26

Sure, I'll send it over to you.

In terms of why one would want it, both @jakenovotny and @dames99 have brought up very valid reasons in their replies. And over the years I have seen a fair few machine shops running single programs for each toolpath. Obviously it sounds crazy if you want your machines to run every second it can, but I've seen this sometimes, where time is less of a concern. And as a little added bonus, we've got it in PowerMill, so why not really? 🙂

Paolo Bastianelli

Technical Consultant
Message 19 of 26

Hi all,

For future reference I created task number CAM-34898 for this wish. I'll reply within this thread whenever I'll have an update for you all.

Thanks for the feedback, it's much appreciated!
Paolo

Paolo Bastianelli

Technical Consultant
Message 20 of 26

For me its because to do a lot of mold plates and such. While I can get it going on the first program then I can get the tools setup. Some plates have a lot of different holes. Also have it setup that I can bunch as many of the programs together as I want. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report