Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post processor issue

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
jacmath
637 Views, 13 Replies

Post processor issue

Hello

I am a beginner with fusion 360, I made a first drawing to be able to test it on my custom 3 axis cnc milling machine , which works well with the softwares used to date.

Now with my first try with fusion 360, I found that I have a post processor issue. The gcodes obtained from fusion contain multiple errors that are difficult to correct with my little knowledge on the subject.

My cnc is equipped with a G540 4-AXIS DIGITAL STEP DRIVE, motion controller uc100 and mach3 with nema 23 stepper motors 270 oz-in. After trying the mach3mill and UCCNC post processors from the fusion 360 library, the gcodes contain errors that make the job impossible.

Is it possible to get help to solve this problem

Thanks

Jack

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
ltomuta
in reply to: jacmath

Show is samples of the code your machine likes. Show us samples of code you machine does not like.

If there are no huge differences I'm sure we can make it work.

Message 3 of 14
jacmath
in reply to: ltomuta

Hi

here are the code you need

First one does not like from fusion 360 

Thank you

Jack

Message 4 of 14
jacmath

@ltomuta 

Sorry I have problem to send  .tap file the bad one, I had the following error:

Correct the highlighted errors and try again.

• The attachment's 1001.tap content type (application/octet-stream) does not match its file extension and has been removed. ??

Finally I was able to send you 2 files, the first one is a .nc file my machine likes and because of the error I had , I'm sending you a .txt file instead of a .tap file(the bad one ) but the lines are exactly what I have in the .tap file

I hope you understand better now ..

thanks

Jack

Message 5 of 14
ltomuta

So your .NC file starts with a number, probably the program "name" and then a bunch of movements without a tool load. Your .tap starts with a number surrounded by parenthesis then it loads a tool and starts moving in the G54 WCS.. Could it be that your machine does not like parenthesis? It could also be that it does not care about them and the error is elsewhere, like in tool loading.

To get this sorted, you need to pick a post and stick to it. Then use it to generate a program that matches in features a working program. Then for the file that gives the error, tell on which line the error is and what the error message is.

Message 6 of 14
jacmath
in reply to: ltomuta

Thanks for your help

These things are a bit confusing for me, but I will still investigate accordingly.

One thing I know, the program should not go for a tool load since all my tool change are done manualy
with this cnc.

Jack

Message 7 of 14
seth.madore

@jacmath 

To confirm, you ARE using Mach 3 to control your machine, right?

Historically speaking, the Mach3 post processor should give you code that works right out of the gate. There may be some user parameters that need to be adjusted, but it should work after that.

What exact errors are you getting, and where are they showing up?

The "Dust Shoe" file appears to have had the beginning chopped off of it, as it's leading right off the bat with a G2, which is rather unusual (this is an arc move). There's no tool number callout, no height offset, no work offset. What software did you use to create that file?

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 8 of 14
engineguy

@jacmath 

I have just downloaded your Contour text file and it loads correctly in Mach3 without any changes/edits here and runs the full program without error so there is something wrong with your usage/setup, see image below.

Contour Code loaded in Mach3.jpg

Regarding the Tool change call, that is not a problem, you can set Mach3 to ignore a tool change by setting it as shown below in your Mach3 "Config", also, if you set your tools correctly in Mach3 Tool Library it will all run correctly.

Contour Code loaded in Mach3-1.jpg

From what I can surmise the issues are not Fusion 360 related, as @seth.madore rightly says the Mach3 PP just works straight "out of the box", I am inclined to think the issues are more about how you have things setup, being new to all this it can be a little confusing so certainly keep asking questions and there will be plenty of people willing to help out for you 🙂 🙂 🙂

Message 9 of 14
jacmath
in reply to: seth.madore

thanks for your reply 

About : What exact errors are you getting, and where are they showing up ?

-In the Fusion 360 Gcode program, my Z axis was going too deep right off the bat, I had to stop the cnc immediately. In no time I was able to go further to see the rest of the work

About : The "Dust Shoe" file, What software did you use to create that file?

- as usual with Cambam (1.0) . I use this software from the beginning with mach 3, and results always A1

Jacmath
Message 10 of 14
jacmath

Thanks you for your reply

Strangely I thought it could be a tool change problem, but after checking the Mach3 configuration,
I confirmed that the Ignore tool change function was checked.

I tried the "contour" Gcode again (from Fusion 360) and before positioning the tool at the point of
start, it makes a movement on the Z axis from top to bottom to the a point of exceeding the maximum amplitude of this axis.

I'm still scratching my head...

Here is my today experience with supporting 2 short videos showing machining with both Fusion 360 and Cambam Gcodes in Mach3.
Stock surface was fixed at a high level to show all movements generated by the gcodes. Pay attention to Z Axis at start especialy.

My neophyte conclusion: The file under fusion 360 makes dangerous and unsolicited movements at the very beginning of the Gcode,and I don't know why, while the gcode generated by Cambam was ok.

But I persevere to learn Fusion 360 knowing all the potential behind this app !

Help please   🤔

thanks

Jack

Message 11 of 14
engineguy

@jacmath 

It is the way you are using the CNC with Mach3, if you are going to use Fusion to generate the G Code then you need to setup the CNC correctly, I have done a Screencast that may help you a little, Fusion isn`t doing anything wrong, it is in fact doing it correctly, see attached files.

Screencast link :- https://autode.sk/3wISI9u

Message 12 of 14
jacmath
in reply to: engineguy

Thanks for your help

It's good to know, I presume that the configuration of the CNC is essential every time you change of software

I'll be looking into that later this week and will give you an update then.

jacmath

Message 13 of 14
engineguy

@jacmath 

If you are always going to use Mach3 to control the movement of the CNC then no, that should stay as it is always.

If you are talking about using different softwares to generate the G Code programs then any changes that need to be made to produce correct G Code should be made at the software being used.

The CNC should not be changed to suit a particular CAD/CAM software, the CNC Machine and it`s controller stay tied together 🙂

Message 14 of 14
jacmath
in reply to: engineguy

Thank you very much for your help, I finally succeeded (at least I think so), to correctly configure my cnc with mach3 with the appropriate soft limits, which allowed me to machine the model the right way.

I machined at a g54 offset and at the end the cnc repositioned itself at machine coordinate, I will explore this so that it returns to the starting position of the machining, which is more practical....

Jacmath 👌

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report