Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Processor for Fagor 8055

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
Latheboy
385 Views, 18 Replies

Post Processor for Fagor 8055

Hello,

I have a 3 axis knee mill with a Fagor 8055 Controller.  When I first tried to use the post processor in Fusion, my part program wouldn't run beyond moving to the X0, Y0 position and then it would stop even with an additional push of cycle start.  With the help of a gent on Practiclal Machinist, I learned that the post has code M6 and I don't have a tool changer.

He shared another post that he found which has "manual tool change" in the post and although that pp will run the part program, I don't get a tool change request for any of the subsequent tools after cutting with tool #1 which would mean that I have to select T2, T3, T4, etc.,  move to the tool change position, change the tool, hit cycle start and so on. 

I am expecting tool #1 to finish cutting and the screen to indicate "change to tool number #2, the axes move to the tool change position, I change the tool and then with cycle start, the Axes should move back to the part and continue operations.  Can anyone with some experience with Fagor post processors take a look at the attached posts and guide me with this.  I have tried to get answers from Fagor, but that proves to be fruitless since this has less to do with the controller.

Thank you in advance,

Steve

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
seth.madore
in reply to: Latheboy

I moved all the "useM6" logic from the Mach3 post processor over to the most recent Fagor 8055 post. The resulting code looks like this:

N225 G1 G40 X0.0745 Y0.1344
N230 G0 Z0.14
N235 M5
N240 G53 G0 Z0
; DRILL2 6
N245 M9
N250 M1
N255 M0 ; CHANGE TOOL
N260 T3
N265 S2290 M3
N270 G17 G90 G94
N275 G54
N280 M8
N285 G0 X0 Y0
N290 G43 Z0.05

Is that an acceptable format?

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 19
Latheboy
in reply to: seth.madore

Hello Seth,

I wish I knew enough about this to answer your question.  I tried again yesterday to run the part with the "Manual PP" and I thought things were going well with the first of 11 tools in the program.  When tool #1 was complete, no tool change request, so I decided to hit T2 which moved the Axes to the change position.  I put in tool #2, hit cycle start twice and got the attached image.  Is there a way for me to try the PP with your suggested changes?

Thanks,

Steve

Message 4 of 19
seth.madore

Do you need just a Z position, or do you also need X/Y?

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 19
seth.madore

Well, let's give this post processor a try. Test carefully and slowly!

Seth Madore
Message 6 of 19
Latheboy

I will give a try shortly and report back.  Thanks..

Message 7 of 19
Latheboy

Unfortunately the same results as before with the manual post.  Tool #1 runs perfectly, but then no tool change call, or move to the tool change position.

Message 8 of 19
seth.madore

You state in your original post "I don't have a tool changer" but then in your latest reply there's also "no tool change call".

These two statements seem to be in opposition to each other. What code are you expecting to see when it's time to change tools? As I see it, it should be posting out an M0 (which is a program stop) that would allow you to change your tool and continue on.

@Latheboy wrote:

...or move to the tool change position.

What is this position?

Seth Madore
Message 9 of 19
Latheboy

Sorry for the confusion.  There is a manually set "tool change position" which I have set in an area for the machine to jog to so I can change the tool clear of the work during each manual tool change call.  I have this set up on another machine (CNC Router) and it works great.  When a tool has completed the cycle, the machine dwells, the screen shows "change to tool #2, or 7, or whatever is next in line in the code, I change the tool, push cycle start and the machine jogs back to the part and continues cutting.  

Message 10 of 19
Latheboy

Forgot to mention it doesn't work like you have stated here either  " As I see it, it should be posting out an M0 (which is a program stop) that would allow you to change your tool and continue on."

It does post out M0, as it did before, but if I jog the axis (not enough +Z travel to change the tool where the material/part is) for access to the spindle for a tool change, hit T2, cycle start, the code repeats the path of tool #1 with the new tool.  In other words, for some reason even though the entire program code is there if I look at it on the controller, it isn't giving me the ability to move to the next tool and continue.

Thanks,

Steve

Message 11 of 19
seth.madore

Do you have a screen on your controller that shows what the current line of code is, or is it only a digital readout of position? (I'm doubtful of that).

It sounds like the act of going into Jog mode and then back into Memory is resetting the program. It seems to me that you need to provide us with some machine coordinate values of where you want the tool to go when it's time to change tools.

Seth Madore
Message 12 of 19
Latheboy

When the code is running I only see the DRO, although I suspect that there is a way to see the code that I am not aware of.  I can tell you this which may help.  If I let Tool #1 complete the cycle, the CNC then reaches the dwell (M0).  If I do nothing more other than hit cycle start without the tool being changed, the code that runs is for the next tool in line in this case Tool #2.  I have run the entire part with the knee moved down out of the way without making a tool change and everything looks perfect so I know that the code is good.  

BTW, beautiful shop and equipment at Liberty..

Message 13 of 19
Latheboy

I neglected to address your tool change comment.  I believe it is a "move to tool change position", but I don't know how it is done in the pp. I can move the X, Y & Z tool change position on my other machine and during a program run, the machine moves to the new"tool change" location.  I don't believe that it is a sub routine, but not positive.  I have tried multiple times to get info from Fagor, but it has been fruitless thus far.

Message 14 of 19
Latheboy

Does this attachment help anything?

Message 15 of 19
seth.madore

Sadly, no.

Have you tried asking on Fagor specific forums? It's starting to sound that the issue exists outside the post processor and Fusion. We certainly want to help where we can, but we are somewhat limited when it moves into machine/control settings.
https://www.cnczone.com/forums/fagor-automation/?s=66cae470a1471fa802667477787e2039

Of course, Practical Machinist as well

Seth Madore
Message 16 of 19
Latheboy

Ok, thank you for the effort here.  I have tried those forums and unfortunately no positive results.  I can't believe that I am the only one with a Fagor 8055 and manual tool change.   

Message 17 of 19
Latheboy

Hello again,

Wondering if you are aware of any paid services for custom post work?  I think all of this can be resolved with some changes.  Please let me know.  Thanks

Message 18 of 19
seth.madore

There are many providers of paid post processor work. However, you're going to need to give them clear direction of what you need, as they likely are not well versed in Fagor controls (despite their claim to the contrary). I would press them for clear indication of expertise in this control system.

You can find a list of such providers HERE

Seth Madore
Message 19 of 19
Latheboy

Thank you Seth..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report