Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

point count on lead-in / linking moves (smoothing)

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
derProtoTyp
275 Views, 8 Replies

point count on lead-in / linking moves (smoothing)

My controller does not handle super dense points very well (many lines of code) so obviously I regularly tweak the  tolerance and smoothing settings. Usually both the same and 0.03mm 

Only trouble is that these settings have not the expected influence on the linking / lead-in moves. 

They have an effect but seems like a factor 10 "higher resolution" then the rest of the code? 

The last two images I attached show tolerance and smoothing settings of 1mm (I know... 🙂 ) and 0,1mm. Obviously there is a difference but the point density is still very high and makes my controller/CNC "jitter"

Is there a way to improve/smooth these linking moves?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Garrett_Wade
in reply to: derProtoTyp

unfortunately I don't believe there is currently any options for tweaking point density in the linking moves.

Message 3 of 9
seth.madore
in reply to: Garrett_Wade

That is correct, Smoothing is not applied to link moves.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 4 of 9
derProtoTyp

thank you @Garrett_Wade and @seth.madore ! 
This is not the answer I hoped to get but a at least I can stop wondering now. 
I´m honestly a bit surprised I´m the only one having trouble with this. 

Are there any plans to include the linking moves in the smoothing anytime soon? 

Message 5 of 9
a.laasW8M6T

what controller do you have?

sometimes there are G-codes that will help with look-ahead/smoothing at the control

Message 6 of 9
derProtoTyp
in reply to: a.laasW8M6T

good point @a.laasW8M6T ! 

its an Eding CNC controller. more common around Europe, especially on routers I think. 
https://edingcnc.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/edingcnc_manual_v4.03.pdf

G64 activates the look-ahead/smoothings with a P value for Max blending tolerance.

I always used G64 P0.125 

but there are a few more options I have to experiment with again as it seems. (page 147 in the linked manual) 

I played with it quite some time ago and did not see any difference. 

But you´re right, I should look into that again! 

quote form the manual:

" The default value for InterpolationTime = 0.005 seconds. The default FifoTime = 0.25 seconds. This means that the FIFO (First In First Out Buffer) can hold 50 motion segments. "

...I have no idea how that compares to a proper industrial controller. 

Message 7 of 9
a.laasW8M6T

Looking at that document I would look at adding the Q to the G64 block too, this says it activates a simplification algorithm that combines line segments, not sure how exactly that will work for you but you may need to add the LAF function too.

FYI a decent industrial control such as my Heidenhain iTNC530 has 0.5ms block processing time and 5000 block lookahead 

I believe the Mazak SmoothX(Mitsubishi M80 based) is slightly faster again.

Message 8 of 9
seth.madore

@derProtoTyp wrote:

thank you @Garrett_Wade and @seth.madore ! 
Are there any plans to include the linking moves in the smoothing anytime soon? 

Not to my knowledge

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 9 of 9

It's not quite what you want, but have a look at what I tried here and see if it gives you some ideas:

https://github.com/ewildgoose/fusion-360-post-processors/commit/34549745788262c9d1c1f6e44646bd84aba7...

I actually will remove this change as it's not working the way I need. However, the intent was to force a linearisation of lead-in moves, when "smoothing" had been enabled in Fusion CAM. So you could either try turning on so that fusion generates arc moves and see if this helps your controller. However, if you want a coarse linearisation of the lead-in move, then the above would give you the IF statement to identify the lead in/out moves and override the linearisation granularity.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report