Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plasma CAM. pierce a single dot, point , or center as a future drill out location.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
TinWhisperer
472 Views, 3 Replies

Plasma CAM. pierce a single dot, point , or center as a future drill out location.

I would like to be able to select a single point, dot or center and set my pierce to zero and make a single hole.

I have done it by making a very small diameter circle and that does work.

but my preference would be to pierce a single point and have no movement in the X or Y axis.

I have read through a few topic with this same request and a mirco small circle is always the answer given.

If I could have the option to select and point, dot or center in the Manufacture>2d profile>geometry>contour selection then just treat it as a line with no length that would work prefect if that was available.

Any thoughts or insights to future updates?

Thank you 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
MattWynn
in reply to: TinWhisperer

Hello @TinWhisperer -

We have had other requests for a pierce only solution and we are actively discussing the best way to do it.  We could make a new type of operation, but that is a very large amount of work. Or we can add ability to use small circle (below a certain size) or sketch point and improve the 2d profile toolpath to support this better.  
We have also been thinking of a good way to do selection for a large number of holes: if a part or nest has lots of small holes that should get a single pierce, how can we easily select all of them without selecting other holes that don't get a single pierce.

It is good that you got small hole solution to work.

The best thing I can suggest now is tiny line segments in a sketch, 0.03mm should work.  We added new function recently to select all geometry in a sketch by selecting the sketch from the browser tree.  If you really want zero movement, I think you could modify the postprocessor to not move if a segment is less than 0.05mm.

Matt Wynn
Senior Manager, Software Development, Fusion Fabrication
Message 3 of 4
MattWynn
in reply to: TinWhisperer

@TinWhisperer see also this other discussion on the same topic Re: Fusion 360 CAM - Marking (plasma/laser) - Autodesk Community - Fusion 360

Matt Wynn
Senior Manager, Software Development, Fusion Fabrication
Message 4 of 4

Any update on when an easier and better "Pierce Only" solution will be available? How did the "Active Discussions" go?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report