Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part rotation within a Setup

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
iancLTBFX
179 Views, 2 Replies

Part rotation within a Setup

We have a 3-axis Mill with an external 4th Axis controller. The external controller executes a program step (rotation) and increments to the next on an 'M10' passthrough in the post. Machining is suspended until the rotation has completed.

I need to machine a series of openings in a cylindrical part, each requiring a variable angular rotation defined as lines from the central axis of the cylinder in a sketch. The only way I can find to tell F360 that the part has rotated is in the Setup parameters. Changing the tool orientation in a machining operation doesn't work when the part has rotated, rather than the tool changing orientation.

There's 12 openings so making 12 individual Setups seems a messy workaround. Is there a way to change the part orientation within a Setup to match what the external 4th axis has done?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
seth.madore
in reply to: iancLTBFX

When programming a 4th axis (M code based or control integrated, I have both), I set my origin to center of rotation and then use Tool Orientation on each toolpath as needed. I'm not understanding exactly why this can't work for you.. 🤔

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 3
iancLTBFX
in reply to: seth.madore

Seth,

Thanks for the reply. You've made a good point that probably explains why I'm having issues. I tried using a reference point in each Tool Orientation setting that is at the top edge of the cylinder, which although is at a fixed point on the machine, is different relative to the part. Using the cylinder's central axis would be the same for both.

Best solution is to get a simultaneous 4-axis machine........

Regards,

Ian 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report