Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parallel toolpath in a pocket

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
eetukorh
135 Views, 3 Replies

Parallel toolpath in a pocket

Hello,

I sometimes have to make simple ramps from plywood and I have found parallel toolpath along the ramp with a flat endmill gives me good results. I would like to extend the parallel toolpath tangentially along the ramp to make sure it doesnt leave cusps where it changes direction, but I havent been able to do that. Also I need the ends of the ramp to start and stop at precise locations but the parallel toolpath starts somewhere close and usually ends when there is no room left for a complete stepover. I would like something like a 2d contour with open contour and start and stop extension and roughing passes, but that doesnt work with my setup on  a 3 axis machine.

I tried a flow toolpath as well but it has similar problems with start and end locations. Included is a file and picture with highlighed surfaces I want to machine.

EDIT; Morph toolpath seems to work ok, but I still cannot do the tangential extension of toolpath. As a workaround I modeled the part larger in x and z direction and offset my origin accordingly.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
DarthBane55
in reply to: eetukorh

For 3d milling, I often resort to making some surfaces.  Really simple, and then you can hide the surface body and your base model is intact.  See attached.  I had to change the top height too because it was top of stock, which was limiting the top, and with my exaggerated surface it would not do to the very top.

For your perfect start point, I don't know where you want to start from, so I didn't play with that.

1.png

Message 3 of 4
programming2C78B
in reply to: eetukorh

The fastest way to do this in the design workspace in go Surface - Offset - 0.00. Then, Offset the lines you want again on the newly created "body" (it will be a single line thick "face", but in the Bodies folder) of about 50-60% of your tool diameter. 

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!
Message 4 of 4
eetukorh
in reply to: DarthBane55

Thanks for this, I got it working now.

I solved the stepover problem by just calculating the precise value:

(ramp width-tool diameter)/n number of stepovers

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums