Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outline engraving issue

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
gridasov93
482 Views, 14 Replies

Outline engraving issue

Hi there! I use my cnc milling machine for making branding irons. Very often they have small convex and in-depth elements like text and my finishing tool is always V-shaped engraver. There is no problem, when I choose text contours and make thin engraving inside contours. But when I want to make finishing operation outside of the letters, I have a problem. Going through all options in "geometry" menu does not give desired result. During my experiments with settings I found out, that if I make a "border" in a model around my text and choose its face with face of the letters and then choose inside loops in "geometry" menu, I can reach desired result. But in this way my tool makes undesired path along inner contour of the new "border". Anyway, I suppose, I am not alone, who face this problem and adding possibility in "geometry" menu to engrave outside of the selected contour would be very good. I attached screens to illustrate the problem.

IMG_20230808_130442_699.png

IMG_20230808_130436_823.jpg

IMG_20230808_130445_954.png

Labels (2)
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
seth.madore
in reply to: gridasov93

Would you be able to share your Fusion file here or privately?
File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply. To share the file privately, it's the same process, but email it to me: seth DOT madore AT autodesk DOT com

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 15
marcus.toepke

I don't quite understand what you're trying to engrave!
They are pockets!

Do you want to hem your text, as it were, like when you're deburring?

Message 4 of 15
gridasov93

To make my description of the problem more clear, please watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2AsvN7ofcU&t=7s&ab_channel=AutodeskFusion360

Here, we forced to make several operations to reach desired result. So my request to developers is to make possible for us to choose this operation in "geometry" menu.

Message 5 of 15
gridasov93
in reply to: seth.madore

Hello! Sending you f3d file of my project

Message 6 of 15
seth.madore

The issue is that the Engrave toolpath requires two opposing sketches. Shape of the two sketches (respective to each other) is irrelevant, it just needs to be sketch entities within the confines of another sketch. So, as such, what you're looking for is actually a new toolpath, in effect, not just a slight adjustment of the existing Engrave toolpath.

Interestingly enough (and pleasing, I might add), you can use the Delete Passes option in the Machining Extension to get rid of those moves:

2023-08-09_13h19_17.png

Seth Madore
Message 7 of 15

I also cheat mine with a border around the entire part. Make it so the tool won't cut anything when it does the one track along the outside and your finished part will come out perfect. I do an engrave toolpath with a chamfer tool.

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!
Message 8 of 15
gridasov93

So, is it possible to submit this idea to the development team for consideration in future Fusion updates?

Message 9 of 15
seth.madore

Yep, I've opened up CAM-47577 to investigate improving the versatility of Engrave 🙂

Seth Madore
Message 10 of 15
gridasov93

Many thanks! It would be very useful for many users!
Message 11 of 15
HughesTooling

As I asked about this in 2015, don't hold your breath! Also would be nice if you could select 3d curves as the input.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 12 of 15
gridasov93

Is there a way to track the status of this issue? Considering the fact that this issue has been around since 2015 (according to HughesTooling), it would be great to see a solution to it in the next updates of Fusion.

Message 13 of 15
seth.madore

No, there is no method for our customers to track status of bugs, but feel free to bump this thread after you haven't heard anything for a while

*Note; a while could literally be months of time. Every task has to be weighed against other important work, and it's often the case where nice improvements such as this regularly fall to the back-burner.

Seth Madore
Message 14 of 15
gridasov93

Hi there! Can I ask about status of topic's issue? Was it already under consideration?

Message 15 of 15
seth.madore

@gridasov93 there has been no activity on this ticket as of yet, sorry to report.

Seth Madore

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report