Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Operation Ordering - Any way to Prioritize Certain Operations between Setups?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
450 Views, 5 Replies

Operation Ordering - Any way to Prioritize Certain Operations between Setups?

This 3+2 axis test part I am trying to post code for has a lot of intersecting 0.25in holes in it and I have run into an issue that I haven't been able to figure out.

Priority Operations.jpg

In particular, I want to do the highlighted pilot drill and deep drill operations from setups 2 & 3 before any other operation using T3 since I would want to gun drill those long holes through the length of the part without interruptions from the other holes. The manual order of operations drills all the holes in setup1 first, and the optimization for least tool changes causes T3 to drill all the holes before it gets to the long drill.

Ideally, I would like to get this to post optimally ordered operations for minimal tool changes with the exception of these operations if it is possible, though at this point, any reasonably workable solution will suffice.

Attached is the file and the post processor I am using.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
johnswetz1982
in reply to: Anonymous

It may be different for a Haas, but I dont think you need all the setups and different work offsets. All you operations can be in one folder using one work offset. That is how I would do it anyhow on a DMU. Just do face, side holes, then top holes or front and back holes. I would also maybe spot before you drill then after to clean up the burr. You only have them going after the drills. See attached.

Message 3 of 6
seth.madore

No, @johnswetz1982  is right, you shouldn't need all those setups. If your machine has a Dynamic Work Offset (the ability to use one offset to control the accurate placement of tools), then dump all the operations into one Setup.

Now, if you are trying to go old school and have a G54, 55, 56, etc with separate origin points at each operation, then you don't have much option than to continue doing things how you are, but in which case, no, there isn't currently a method of having certain toolpaths take priority.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: seth.madore

Thanks for the replies

Unfortunately, this Haas VF-4SS with the pre NGC control and a TR160Y rotary trunnion doesn't have DWO capability. At our shop the lead programmer uses Featurecam and he sets a seperate WCS for each rotated position at the trunnion rotational center point so that each operation done on a rotated position can be finely shifted along X Y & Z if the part tolerances demand it. I was just testing Fusion 360 to try to emulate a quick mock up of a part that is similar to setups we have actually done.

As to the spotdrilling coming after drilling @johnswetz1982, the drills are 140deg split point carbide drills, the part is aluminum, and I only wanted to chamfer the edges. I don't doubt that adding a small spot before drilling would help reduce drill walking even further, but it adds extra cycle time and these split point drills typically don't walk enough on a loose tolerance manifold to justify it.

I was finally able to get it to post in the order I wanted with less tool changes and multiple WCS using folders nested in Setup1, but this method is ugly as sin. This did post exactly what I wanted though.

3+2 Multi WCS.jpg

Message 5 of 6
seth.madore

Yeah, that is ugly as sin. 

I program my 4th axis Mori much the same way as you, with multiple WCS and no, Fusion doesn't have a good answer for this. I think it's an unfortunate decision, as there are loads of machines out there in the commercial environment that don't (and never will) have DWO. Older Haas machines, base Fanuc machines, the list is long...

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 6 of 6
vworpi
in reply to: seth.madore

Other than duplicating setups and removing unwanted tool paths so your tool sequence is in the correct order, I don't think there's an easy way to do this at the moment. Everything is a hack, leaves any untidy series of setups and isn't conducive to an efficient workflow.

Folders can override the work offset number, but can't set a 4th/5th axis position ala tool orientation.

I think needs to go sit a corner and rethink how it handles multiple wcs. Assuming all machines have G54.2/G68.2/tilted plane is a little short sighted.

I have a two stage suggestion in the ideastation that may interest you:-

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-ideastation/overhaul-of-wcs-in-setups-3-2-work-and-multipl...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report