Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One level pocket

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
HughesTooling
800 Views, 7 Replies

One level pocket

In the attached file why does Pocket1 have 2 levels I've set the step down to 10mm so you should get one level only. In the other Pockets I've set the Top Height to -1 to get one pass.

http://a360.co/14IhojL

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
fonsecr
in reply to: HughesTooling

It kind of looks like you have selected more chains/contours than desired (ie. both top and floor of pockets). At least this is my guess from the toolpath you have. Try to clear your contour selections and make sure to only select the floor for each pocket.

René Fonseca
Software Architect

Message 3 of 8
fonsecr
in reply to: fonsecr

Keep in mind that by default the Bottom is set to "From Contours". So you get cuts for each Z level that you select. If you then edit the Bottom height to a fixed value, all the different Z levels get projected to that specific Z level.

René Fonseca
Software Architect

Message 4 of 8
HughesTooling

I only had the top contours selected, selecting the bottom of the pocket makes no difference. I have the Top Height set to Stock top and Bottom Height as a selection, one of the pocket bottom faces. I've tried entering absolute dimensions, selecting different faces etc. but I still get 2 levels! The levels of the tool paths are -0.5 and -9.5 so for some reason it's only allowing a 9.0mm step.

Thanks Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
HughesTooling

@fonsecr wrote:

Keep in mind that by default the Bottom is set to "From Contours". So you get cuts for each Z level that you select. If you then edit the Bottom height to a fixed value, all the different Z levels get projected to that specific Z level.

I tink that's for 2d pockets, these are 3d and I've selected the bottom face.

thanks Mark.

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
fonsecr
in reply to: HughesTooling

Ok. Can you send a mail to cam.support@autodesk.com? Then the support team can do an online session with you to go through that settings and see if there is anything that would cause this.

If you use 3D Pocket, then default Heights should be fine. It  will use the stock height that you have set in your Setup.

René Fonseca
Software Architect

Message 7 of 8

The reason you’re getting the cut at the top of the pocket is because you have flat area detection selected. So the system is selecting the flat at the top of the pocket. I agree with Rene you would get much better results with 2D operations to cut this. But I believe this is just a test piece.
Jeff Walters
Senior Support Engineer, CAM
Message 8 of 8

Thanks Jeff, I guess Flat area detection is on by default I'll turn it off so it doesn't catch me out again. It seems odd that it's working the way it does though, I've used a few other CAM programs with flat area detection and they seem to ignore the top face of the part. I suppose the work around is to set the Top Height below the top face of the part.

You are right 2d pocketing would be a better option, the file was to demonstrate another problem.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/computer-aided-machining-cam/warning-when-pocketing/td-p/5467997

As you have the file any thoughts on that problem.

Thanks Mark.

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report