Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Older post version beyond what's available in the library

28 REPLIES 28
SOLVED
Message 1 of 29
billyD86QR
952 Views, 28 Replies

Older post version beyond what's available in the library

Is there a way to access older post versions than the ones listed in the drop-downs on the library page?

Specifically I'm looking for FANUC mill "generic post for fanuc" V42831 

Labels (3)
28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29
engineguy
in reply to: billyD86QR

@billyD86QR 

Fanuc Post Processor V42831 attached.

Tip, always keep a copy of good known to work Post Processors in a Folder on your PC, and also always work from either your "Cloud" Post Library or even better your Personal/Local Post Library 🙂

Message 3 of 29
billyD86QR

Thanks for the quick response and uploaded post. So there isn't a way to access posts that old in any of the Fusion systems?

Honestly the post system if Fusion is garbage right now. Even if working from a local folder, post updates will still be pushed to all users unless the FORKID is erased from post. The reason why I needed a version this far back is because I was trying to track down a change that happened before my involvement with posts.   A way to improve this entire system would be to have admins approve the fusion updates before pushing the updates to all users and give admins the ability to push a rollback to any version. There are still flaws with that but it's a start. 

Message 4 of 29
engineguy

@billyD86QR 

If you work from and keep your Post Processors in your Local Post Library then they will never be overwritten, where do you think I got the PP I uploaded from, it has been sitting in my Local PP Library for a few years along with lots of other Post Processors that have never been changed by Fusion updates 🙂 🙂 🙂

Also you will never get a Post Processor or a Machine configuration overwritten if you go to your Preferences and you disable the "Automatic Post and Machine Updates" by just "un checking" it, see image below which shows it enabled.

If you need to go check on the latest version of your PP the just go to the online library and download the latest version, then you can check/test at your leisure, if it doesn`t suit your needs then just delete it.

Preferences Auto Post Updates.jpg

Always, always keep a copy of your good working PP somewhere safe, say in a folder on your desktop or in a Cloud folder of some description, they are incredibly valuable as most have been edited to some degree to suit specific machines !!!

Message 5 of 29
billyD86QR

Oh, I didn't know about that checkbox. That seems to be checked by default on everyone's systems though.  I have 25+ users to admin plus people working on their home systems sometimes. If I'm going to get the train back on the tracks there will need to be a more scalable workflow than constantly making sure posts are updating willy nilly. I think I have a good approach that will detach post management from Fusion but I'm playing catchup at the moment. For example, I opened that post you just sent right from my downloads and it immediately prompted me for an update via the little orange button. Of course I still have this checkbox clicked.

billyD86QR_0-1647725051617.png

I don't really have a problem with the current way fusion is handling PP management for hobby level or very small 2-3 person operations but if they are trying to capture the pro level market, their current approach isn't going to work. They need real PP admin tools built in.

Message 6 of 29
engineguy

@billyD86QR 

Hmmm, interesting approach, you only need a singlw Post Processor that is "Cloud Based" that everyone can access, that way if you wish to update it then you are in charge and only need to upload the new PP and download and store the previous one.

If all your users are on the same local "Intranet" then it will be easy, even if some/all are at different locations you still only need the single PP that you are in charge of so to be honest I can`t see a problem.

Post Processors held and accessed in the "Cloud" do not ever get overwritten during Fusion updates so are safe there, only needs a very small change in workflow IMHO 🙂 🙂

Message 7 of 29
billyD86QR
in reply to: engineguy

As shown in my last post, with the checkbox checked (lets be real, that checkbox will always end up getting checked for some people because it is by default), even posts local, cloud, or wherever, get updates pushed from fusion as long as the post ID matches the one in Fusion's cloud. We have all of our posts in our company Fusion cloud, not Fusion's public cloud. They get pushed updates just the same. The key part of making the post "cloud based" is rippin the ID out of the post so Fusion doesn't phone home to try to push updates to all users. This still doesn't address things like version tracking and streamlined admin approval before implementation.

Message 8 of 29
billyD86QR

It sounds like your use case is one or two or three users. That's pretty easy to control through simple communication "hey folks, don't hit the orange button" or "hey folks, uncheck the updates checkbox hidden here in the menu". Or even better yet, just use the legacy post processing menu, that doesn't do any update stuff from fusion.

Message 9 of 29
billyD86QR

I can't be the first one to mention the major scalability oversights in the Fusion post update system. It quite literally left a wake of chaos in our workflow. We didn't think it was something that mattered until we starting to have machines do crazy stuff or programs not posting and discovered everyone was on different versions of posts because some people where clicking the orange buttons and some people weren't.  Like I said before, all of our posts are in our own company Fusion cloud, not the Fusion public cloud. Bad enough that fusion was pushing crap PP updates out to clueless users let alone not really having a true admin system for properly proving them before company-wide rollout. As far as I'm concerned those orange update buttons shouldn't exist for anyone outside of admins. The general part programmer shouldn't be thinking about updating or what the PP is even doing. CAM it, post it, run it. 

Message 10 of 29
engineguy

@billyD86QR 

OK, I don`t know how many different Post Procesors that you use at your Company but the Cloud works for 2 or 200 or 2000 users, all that you need to do is name any Post Processor that you want everyone to use and copy/paste it to the Cloud, there it has no Orange button to press, I have some Post Processors in the Cloud that are just copied/pasted from my Local PP Library to the Cloud Library so if I allow someone else access like for example yourself there will be no Orange button for you to mess with.

I can do the same with any Post Processor in my Local PP Library.

As stated before a small change in the overall workflow from your end would mean that only the Post Processor that YOU want people to use will be available to them and they will be unable to click any Orange button for any updates. See image below, PPs re-named for my company for different machines/controls, these are available via the Cloud to any other Companies/Users with multiple CAM stations, that is all your multiple users will see, specific PPs for specific Machines can be easily named. If all your users are on the same Company Server then all it needs is for your IT person/people to set the correct Permissions to allow access, very simple operation for any IT person 🙂 🙂

The image is of only a single Cloud PP Library with a single Folder, you can make as many folders as you like, for example one for all your Milling PPs, one for all your Laser PPs, one for Turning PPs etc, etc.

Just has to be done at the main source that`s all 🙂 🙂 🙂

No Orange Update Button !!No Orange Update Button !!

Message 11 of 29
seth.madore

What @engineguy states is correct. If you are using the generic post from the installed library, or saving modified posts to the generic library, you open yourself up to post revisions that contain changes you would prefer not to have. The easiest and most insulated solution is to turn on Cloud Libraries and upload your modified posts to the Assets folder:

2022-03-20_10h34_41.png

as long as everyone is on your Team, they will have access to those posts, and they will not be overwritten. My oldest post (Mori) comes from 2016 (rev 41219), and there it sits, working just fine, update after update.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 12 of 29
billyD86QR
in reply to: seth.madore

What does it look like in the menu when you go to actually post the program?

billyD86QR_0-1647863423417.png

Message 13 of 29
billyD86QR

Did those posts start life in the fusion post library? If so, did you delete the IDs out of them when they were renamed? If not, then they don't have IDs to phone home with.

All three of these posts started life in the library... moved to the cloud... renamed... and still phone home.

billyD86QR_1-1647863789009.png

Message 14 of 29
seth.madore

I do not have those icons. Reason? Rename the post processor to your machine and/or controller. That's the trigger that checks to see if a newer post is available. In the image below, you will see all the posts that retain their generic name and they all have those icons:

2022-03-21_08h00_39.png

Whereas, the machine specific posts do not have them, as there is nothing in the Fusion Library that contains the same name.
All the non-specific posts in my cloud library are just for testing purposes, nothing more. In reality, I only use the Mori, Kitty and Lynx posts.

Seth Madore
Message 15 of 29
billyD86QR

That's not how it's worked for us. I'm not sure why but this post here is prime example.

billyD86QR_0-1647864554920.png

The name is different, MAM72-25..... but it still phoned home and still updated, back to the latest FANUC generic.

Message 16 of 29
seth.madore

This is the header for my Mori post:

/**
  Copyright (C) 2012-2016 by Autodesk, Inc.
  All rights reserved.

Fanuc post processor configuration.

$Revision: 41219 005532ae5e98d01a137e4416fcc3a06548d1c11d $
  $Date: 2016-10-27 16:04:24 $

FORKID {04622D27-72F0-45d4-85FB-DB346FD1AE22}
*/

description = "MORI-5100";
vendor = "Fanuc";
vendorUrl = "";
legal = "Copyright (C) 2012-2016 by Autodesk, Inc.";
certificationLevel = 2;
minimumRevision = 24000;

longDescription = "This is for a 3 axis DMG-MORI 5100.";

It's possible that it involves more than just changing the name; the description might likely need to be adjusted as well.

Seth Madore
Message 17 of 29
billyD86QR

I still see that ID in there.  From my testing, it would phone home as long as the ID was in there. The description thing seems crazy anyways because there can be so many posts with the same description... FANUC for example. There are like 5 FANUC PPs in the library. That ID of 04622D27-72F0-45d4-85FB-DB346FD1AE22 in your post doesn't exist anymore in the library from what I can see but I'm sure you'd have a better overview than I would.  Could that be why it's not trying to push updates to you?

Message 18 of 29
seth.madore

Let's take a look at a more recent post processor, the Doosan Mill/Turn. I renamed mine to:

description = "Doosan Lynx Mill Turn";
vendor = "Doosan";
vendorUrl = "https://www.doosanmachinetools.com";
legal = "Copyright (C) 2012-2019 by Autodesk, Inc.";
certificationLevel = 2;
minimumRevision = 40783;

Conversely, the Fusion generic post is described as:

description = "Doosan Mill/Turn with Fanuc 0i/31i control";
vendor = "Doosan";
vendorUrl = "https://www.doosanmachinetools.com";
legal = "Copyright (C) 2012-2021 by Autodesk, Inc.";
certificationLevel = 2;
minimumRevision = 45702;

So what I've done, in effect, is create a post (just by changing the description) that doesn't exist in the Fusion Library. I'm going to check with someone in the Post team to confirm or refute what I'm saying.

Seth Madore
Message 19 of 29
billyD86QR

Ok, yes. It does appear the description has something to do with the linking to the library but just renaming the file is not enough to unlink it as I said earlier

Fanuc(1) is just renamed

next one has the FORKID deleted only

next one has the description changed only

billyD86QR_1-1647870464848.png

Message 20 of 29
engineguy

@billyD86QR 

From my testing I get the same as @seth.madore see images below.

The Post Processor did originally sit in the "Fusion Installed Library", all I did was change it as shown in the images below and chuck it in my "Cloud Post Processor Library" and it has ben sitting there for a few years untouched by any/all Fusion Updates.

No changes were made to the ID string, only the description and the vendor, it works fine here, I just downloaded the latest Fanuc PP (12 Days old) and modified it as usual and it works the same, see images below and attached re-named PP 🙂

PP Re-named-1.jpg

PP Re-named-2.jpg

Here is the modifed latest Fanuc PP, becasue I changed the Vendor I was abl;e to select that and it just shows the PP for that vendor ie yourself 🙂 🙂

PP Re-named-3.jpg

PP Re-named-4.jpg

I am at a loss as to why you are not able to do the same workflow as both @seth.madore and myself, if it works for us then it should work for you !!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report