Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW Tool Library

266 REPLIES 266
SOLVED
Message 1 of 267
veso58S5W
153011 Views, 266 Replies

NEW Tool Library

😫that's first impression.
What was the reason to change?
Why mess up good things?
How you organize tools? If I want list to be by #. Or by diameters?
Renumber Tool, now I must go through several operations.

266 REPLIES 266
Message 141 of 267

@DarthBane55 @umesh.bilimoria  Regarding coolant per tool in the 'cutting data' tab under the passes and linking you have coolant options if you scroll down. Can you not acheive the functionality you mentioned using this?

Christopher Cooper
Technical Consultant
Message 142 of 267

@christopher.cooperVHK2N I just tried, but it doesn't do what I was trying to explain.  So let's say you already have 10 operations done with 1 tool, and all of them are set to "flood", but then later you decide you want to use "air" instead (just an example here).  Switching the tool coolant to "air" in the tool library does not update the 10 operations.  You need to open each operation and change it on each one.  I would like a way to ask the user, when changing the coolant type, if he would like to update all operations to this new coolant type, or not. 

EDIT: Well this is what I wanted, but it might be overkill, there are other demands that are more important, specially that I just realized that we can change the coolant using "edit and compare", which does short work of this.

Message 143 of 267

Yeah, the "compare and edit" is an amazing tool for multi-editing operations. It's definitely the ticket for that sort of thing.

Message 144 of 267

Just re-trying the new tool library today and its much better but Ive found a few wee issues and maybe Bugs Id like to give feed back on.

Pros: 

• Rename Library's(Couldn't do this before)
  • Multiple Profiles - excellent addition

Cons:

1. I like to have my tools listed by tool number, I can add this as a column and sort them this way which is great until I close the library and re-open and the column has disappeared, I cant see any option to save as default or similar. Also I see that you can drag the order of the columns to rearrange them but again this doesn't stay when you close it.
  2. When renaming a library I can't move the cursor with the arrow keys on the keyboard, small inconvenience but it there.
  3. It would be nice to rearrange the order of tool libraries, I can't drag them up or down like I would expect(unless i'm missing something)
  4. The Step over and step down check boxes do nothing for me, I thought maybe it was because I was editing existing tools but even creating new ones cause this problem, when saving the tool there is an error "Failed to Update Tool".
  5. When selecting the coolant type the drop down menu appears out of view requiring a scroll down to see all the  options, If you were new to Fusion you may not know you then have to scroll down to see all the coolant selections.

Anyway seems like a Major improvement to when It first came out and I think i'll keep using it, but really the only reason is to get the multiple profiles for tools

Cheers 

Andrew

Message 145 of 267
dennyreedjr
in reply to: a.laasW8M6T

Is anyone else having problems with form tools now? When I create a new form tool, hydraulic port reamer, it shows up in the document library but as soon as I edit it in any way to add feeds and speeds, or a name even the picture of the tool disappears and goes yellow in the library view stating its an incomplete tool. Also right off the bat after creation the diameter is wrong in the library. None of my form tools work now.

@christopher.cooperVHK2N

Message 146 of 267
Ks-bart
in reply to: veso58S5W

I tried the the new tool library a few times now on different time frames ( updates) and its realy starting to come together ...

only (big) isue why we can’t use it at our company is because we use “remote desktop” 
we have a few pc’s were we program and next to every cnc-mill we have another pc to make last minute corections, to do this we use remote desktop (from windows) to link to the programming station, this works perfect and we’ve been doing this this way for several years butt if you click on the tool library icon fusion freezes  completly and we have to go back to the programming station to close the tool library!

I hope this gets fixed soon 

Message 147 of 267

@DarthBane55 You need to make sure  you select the preset in the operation and not custom. If they are set on custom then nothing will change apart from that operation. I have attached some screen shots of my 3 operations with the same spot drill. I changed the coolant type to Air and got a warning which I selected. Then each of the operations was updated with the change. Hope this is what you wanted.

Christopher Cooper
Technical Consultant
Message 148 of 267

@dennyreedjr We are curently working on a task for editing Form tools in the new library. Would you be able to send me your file so I can replicate the issue and identify if we have provided a correct solution when the work is complete.

Thanks

Christopher Cooper
Technical Consultant
Message 149 of 267

@christopher.cooperVHK2N Hmmm, not really, this forces to change the S&F, and I am only talking about coolant here.  I guess coolant is tied to S&F?  Anyways, "compare and edit" does the trick perfectly.

Message 150 of 267
Anonymous
in reply to: DarthBane55

Hello @christopher.cooperVHK2N ,

This new Tool library look very nice, I can easy see that the new layout will be 

much more easy for new Fusion user to work with.

One thing I would like to see was option the make a tool that it can't make

plunge cut's, so it you have a End Mill there is not able to plunge cut it will 

not be able to do with a mistake.

Keep up the good work Fusion Team !

Message 151 of 267

I noticed Fusion had an update yesterday. Any changes on the tool library front? I dug through the blog post and didn't see anything, and didn't notice anything obvious in the tool library. 

Anxiously awaiting sticky column customizations 🙂 

I noticed a few updates ago that we lost the version number in the corner of the tool library, else I probably wouldn't be asking. 

Message 152 of 267

@nick_p3dcreations The tool library version has been moved to the bottom left hand corner and production is currently on V63.0. The only change here is we have added a length offset to probes. We have spent sometime adding the stickiness and hopefully this will be included in the next update.

Christopher Cooper
Technical Consultant
Message 153 of 267

Sticky columns should be by tool types as well. No point in showing how many flutes my lathe parting tool has.

Message 154 of 267
gtprototype
in reply to: clay.ferriola

RANT ON:

Nice of the team to force the new tool library on us while it's still a major source of frustration.  Perhaps you're trying to quell all the joy of using fusion?  This is a major disappointment, thank you for nothing.  This is a perfect example of how common sense is no longer common.  Why is such poor performance acceptable as the norm?  Knowing how to do something doesn't make you a professional, it's knowing what to do and why.  It is my hope that individually you will experience major frustration in everything you do until you actually learn your craft.  Look at the results, was this ready for release; are you professionals?

RANT OFF:

Dale Speakes
prototype technology
Message 155 of 267
seth.madore
in reply to: gtprototype

Oh c'mon. Take a breath, simmer down. Just turn the Feature Flag off (in Preferences) and go back to the old one until you want try it out again.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 156 of 267
whizbanger
in reply to: seth.madore

I actually like the new library, but glad they still allowed users to revert back to the old one if they like.  As constructive criticism, I would like to see the addition of a 'Compare and Edit' feature like we have for toolpaths.  That would be a HUGE improvement to managing the data, not only between tools, but also between multiple cutting data setups.  Unless there's a way to do this already that I'm not aware of?

Daren
Message 157 of 267
gtprototype

Seth,

I respect and appreciate you and your contributions here: I apologize if you were offended.  If you came into work one day and everything in your desk drawers was switched around you wouldn't be upset every time you opened a drawer and couldn't find something?  I did take a breath, and that was my simmered down version; I spent several hours composing my response to what appeared an immature forced update because the update turned the feature on.  When I read though the "what's new" it said nothing about the ability to turn it off.  Here is what it does say: 

"The long-awaited Tool Library refresh is here! After many rounds of feedback and improvements, the new Tool Library graduates from preview functionality to the official release."

Historically, is it normal when an official release of a feature is implemented that you can still turn it off and revert back to the old version?  If I can turn it off isn't it still a preview, so why call it the official release?

Are there some improvements to the tool library? Yes, I believe so however, it has been unusable for me as I've indicated in my previous posts in this thread.  Do I appreciate what the team is doing? Moderately.  Am I disappointed with the results thus far?  Yes.

Dale Speakes
prototype technology
Message 158 of 267
seth.madore

Oh, not offended at all. Having been a machinist for 22 years, it takes a lot more than that  to offend me (not putting that as a challenge btw).

My response was more to the general disrespect that I'm seeing with increasing quantities on these forums and other social platforms. I mean, would people talk like that in person? Likely not. And if they did, it wouldn't take long to devolve into more than verbal slinging.... People seem to forget that there are other human beings on the other end of the line and seem to be more willing to sling ridicule in a non-helpful manner. Constructive criticism is one thing, but hurling misery on another is quite different.

To answer your question; Yes, most things that spend a good deal of time in development are initially released as Preview, eventually move into "forced" Preview (turned on for everyone) and the old method is retained for some time to ease the transition. See the UI changes that happened last year, the Turning Profile Toolpaths etc.

Seth Madore
Message 159 of 267
gtprototype

@seth.madore wrote:

My response was more to the general disrespect that I'm seeing with increasing quantities on these forums and other social platforms. I mean, would people talk like that in person? Likely not. And if they did, it wouldn't take long to devolve into more than verbal slinging.... People seem to forget that there are other human beings on the other end of the line and seem to be more willing to sling ridicule in a non-helpful manner. Constructive criticism is one thing, but hurling misery on another is quite different.

Seth,

Thank you for calling me out. Although I spent several hours toning down my response, I didn't eliminate the disrespectful element. I apologize to my fellow forum members for being disrespectful.  I sincerely apologize to the Fusion Team for disrespecting you.

Dale Speakes
prototype technology
Message 160 of 267
seth.madore

It's all good 🙂
We do LOVE constructive feedback, so don't stop giving it

Seth Madore

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report