Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to 5th axis. Rotary toolpath troubles

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
ritste20
275 Views, 5 Replies

New to 5th axis. Rotary toolpath troubles

I'm trying to complete my first program with a 5th axis anything. We have a used Haas VF5-SS with a table-mounted trunnion. For part of my roughing strategy, I was planning to use a rotary toolpath at B+90 and create part of the profile for what would ideally be a lathe part.

I have successfully used rotary on the 4th axis of our other VF5 and was hoping for a smoother transition. The problem I'm facing appears to be a post issue because the simulation looks correct (Standard Haas NGC Post). I also tried to setup a machine configuration to make sure the axes were setup correctly but the NC program in the tree has an error and basically the post is ignoring the machine config.

The toolpath leads in and out near C0. as I expected in Fusion. When I post the program, that operation calls B+90 and comes down in the correct general area but also rotates to C180. and looks like it is trying to feed to the bottom of the part.

I'm probably missing something blatantly obvious but I don't have proven part files or programs to refer to since my predecessor never used this machine to its full potential. I am willing to share the file with Autodesk employees and people I recognize as regular contributors but I do not want to publicly post it.

Thanks in advance.

Steve Ritter
Manufacturing Engineer

AutoCAD/Draftsight
Inventor/Solidworks
Fusion 360
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ritste20
in reply to: ritste20

If it helps the Autodesk people out there I also have an open case with tech support #20408602

Regards,

Steve Ritter
Manufacturing Engineer

AutoCAD/Draftsight
Inventor/Solidworks
Fusion 360
Message 3 of 6
programming2C78B

Do some test cuts/codes and find out/make sure that your Axis are correct in regards to the Enabled/Reverse. Remember that the master will effect the slave! 

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!
Message 4 of 6
ritste20
in reply to: programming2C78B

I thought that may have been the case too but I tried posting it both ways. If I set C-axis to yes, it rotates to -180, reversed just posts it as +180. Essentially the same result for the initial move.

If I switch the B-axis, then the part will rotate to the back side which doesn't make sense because we have the trunnion mounted at the right (x+) end of the table.

Steve Ritter
Manufacturing Engineer

AutoCAD/Draftsight
Inventor/Solidworks
Fusion 360
Message 5 of 6
rengfx

I was having this issue when I was manually setting the Post config to 'Yes' on Tilt / Rotary axis, essentially the opposite of what I wanted and was seeing in the Simulation was happening with the real code on the machine. This was sometime last year however

I solved this by getting a true Machine Configuration working, and posting with the Post config without those checkboxes, which seems counterintuitive but worked for me but works in that any Tool Orientation operation works perfectly Simulation to Machine code now. I do not recall all the specific details but some pics of your machine config, machine model may spark my memory. most likely related to the -1 , 0 , 1 config on those axes as well as the preference on the tilt axis

Was able to keep my NGC trunnion settings as normal (not reversed) and get good code out

Message 6 of 6
ritste20

I think I found a modified post saved on the computer that seems to be working so far. It looks like it began life as pre-NGC UMC750 post. Here's the machine definition section if that will continue the trail of breadcrumbs for future reference.

function defineMachine() {
  if (!receivedMachineConfiguration) { // note: setup your machine here
    // using 0 instead of -35 to avoid rewind issues
    var bAxis = createAxis({coordinate:1, table:true, axis:[0, 1, 0], range:[0 - 0.0001, 110 + 0.0001], preference:1, reset:1, tcp:true});
    // should be multiple of 360 if rewindCAxisEncoder is enabled
    var cAxis = createAxis({coordinate:2, table:true, axis:[0, 0, 1], cyclic:false, range:[-13320, 13320], preference:0, reset:1, tcp:true});
    machineConfiguration = new MachineConfiguration(bAxis, cAxis);

setMachineConfiguration(machineConfiguration);
    if (receivedMachineConfiguration) {
      warning(localize("The provided CAM machine configuration is overwritten by the postprocessor."));
      receivedMachineConfiguration = false; // CAM provided machine configuration is overwritten
    }
    /* home positions */
    machineConfiguration.setModel("HAAS UMC-750");
    machineConfiguration.setVendor("Haas Automation");
    machineConfiguration.setHomePositionX(toPreciseUnit(-29.0, IN));
    machineConfiguration.setHomePositionY(toPreciseUnit(-8, IN));
  }
  if (getProperty("useMaximumMachineZRetract")) {
    machineConfiguration.setRetractPlane(toPreciseUnit(2.5, IN));
  }
}
// End of machine configuration logic

Regards,

Steve Ritter
Manufacturing Engineer

AutoCAD/Draftsight
Inventor/Solidworks
Fusion 360

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums