Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Function Idea: Angle along Z axis

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
236 Views, 7 Replies

New Function Idea: Angle along Z axis

Is it possible to implement 'Angle along Z axis' in fusion, just like it's possible with X and Y.

Attached is a part of the Renishaw inspection plus manual that describes this feature

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
rengfx
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm guessing you want to adjust tilt on B axis to put a feature into an aligned Z axis?

Most angle measurements are just under 1" (25mm) in touch distance, how to get a ~Z -1.0 touch without stemming out the stylus or worse crashing the probe body into a part destroying it I think would be complex and that specific Renishaw sequence supports X / Y not Z probably because of that

Any approach would have to be a static negative angle and severely limit the sequence because of the shrouded nature of the Z angle measure that is not present in X / Y routines. I have a 150mm stylus on my probe to align WCS with my 3d printed metal parts and still have the most issues with Z clearance and not shanking out on the probe stem

Message 3 of 8
DarthBane55
in reply to: rengfx

There is a Renishaw cycle for Z, for this exact purpose.  Fusion doesn't support it.  I have added the function in my post by using some unused check boxes, it's a bit of post work, but it works.  The drawback is that you can't see it in fusion, because it does not exist.  I use Z surface probing cycle, and with a few options set right, I output the B-axis alignment cycle.  It is all in my post, and it works flawlessly on the machine.

Message 4 of 8
rengfx
in reply to: DarthBane55

Could you share that? I'd be curious to try it
Message 5 of 8
DarthBane55
in reply to: rengfx

I would but it is not that simple...  There are a lot of things to do in the post, meaning I'm not sure how exactly I can share it.  Different sections are involved, and not really something I can post here and say put that here and put that there, it relies on some other thing in the post, and my post is most likely different as far as the rest of the probing is, because I started modifying it years ago and never updated to new versions, so that I don't lose my edits.

I can share my instruction sheet I made for use within Fusion (it's Inventor but it works the exact same), and maybe it inspires you to edit your own post, if you are used to edit posts.

Message 6 of 8
Damien_Deline
in reply to: DarthBane55

I was considering doing the same thing ! 

@rengfx  here is the probing cycle we have for our DVF5000 . P9818 does the same thing but in the Y axis if you were to have an A axis instead of B.  However , this does require having Renishaw's Inspection plus software i believe .

Screenshot 2023-08-16 143903.png

Message 7 of 8
Damien_Deline
in reply to: Anonymous

I second this . This should be a TOP priority for Autodesk with them finally starting to break into 5 Axis.
Message 8 of 8
DarthBane55
in reply to: Damien_Deline

I don't know if there are other packages than Renishaw, but that is what we have.  I almost have tricked the post to do almost every cycle they have, by manipulating various check boxes and values.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report