Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nesting without nesting extension

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
hector_torres2386
175 Views, 6 Replies

Nesting without nesting extension

Hello everyone!

I need help with a project I've been working on. I have a simple slotted slot that I need a dozen or so of. I'm using my friends plasma CNC, so everything is 'through'. 

I have the tool pathing on the individual piece, but is there a way to get a repeating pattern so I can program my G-code to cut out 12 or so?

The nesting extension seems dope, but it's hella expensive for my purposes. 

Does anyone have a workaround for this situation?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

If its a really simple design, Just "Rectangular pattern" yourself out the dozen pieces and set up your tool path that way. Pretty simple work around.
Message 3 of 7

This time they are slotted slots. Next month it could be more complicated. But, yes, I suppose I CAN lay out all the pieces, space them and set up the tool path for each piece. I was just curious to see if anyone knew any hints that could help make the journey easier. Like copying the same toolpath for each of my pieces so I don't need to individually select the inside loop, then the outside loop of each silhouette. 

Message 4 of 7

But thank you for the suggestion, I'll try it out ...

Message 5 of 7

Exactly this, but use a pattern in the Manufacturing workspace to copy the toolpaths, rather than a pattern in the Design workspace to copy the parts.

If you have multiple geometries the Arrange feature is also a pseudo-nesting tooling.
Message 6 of 7

As others have suggested, Pattern is what you're looking for here. Nesting and Arrange are well suited to fitting multiple identical or different components on a single sheet of stock, which doesn't sound like what you're trying to accomplish

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 7 of 7

Thank you! I will look into the Arrange function. Rectangular pattern did the trick.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report