Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with open pocket on wrapped cut.

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
newtoinventor
243 Views, 6 Replies

Need help with open pocket on wrapped cut.

I found a couple post on this, some ideas', but these were post from 2017. Thought there may be a better way now?

So I am trying to do this open pocket, but it wants to plunge/helix into the part and slot it away, were I want to cut in the open area in front of the part, how do I get it to do this?

Also. what is the proper area to select ,seem like if I select the bottom of the shape, it overcuts the top, this is a Mill Turn mazak lathe with Y axis, so I will probably have to come back and use the xyz at 0° and 90° to get a straight wall i believe.

Also, does anyone know of a good post for a older mazak, it is a multiplex 6300 with 640T control, I am using a 350MY on to get it to somewhat work.

newtoinventor_0-1691579395998.png

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
seth.madore
in reply to: newtoinventor

Few things:

1) This is the nature of a simple Wrap pocket. We can get somewhat better behavior if we create some additional sketch geometry:

2023-08-09_08h22_40.png

It's still not quite perfect:

2023-08-09_08h22_52.png

2) Gouging. Yep, another limitation of the Wrap toolpath. You're either going to violate the top and leave stock on the bottom or vice versa. 

A better toolpath (for Roughing) would be the new Rotary Pocket (Extension toolpath):

2023-08-09_08h37_08.png

And then for Finishing, I'd go with the Advanced Swarf (in public preview, but will be an Extension item as well):

2023-08-09_08h38_11.png

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 7
newtoinventor
in reply to: seth.madore

Thanks for the reply, Seth, looks like that extending is still on a plunge path, the extension looks good, but a lot of money to have those. This is the first thing that has peaked my interest. could you post what you did so I can download and look at please?

Also, would you have a clue what to do with a machine that is not behaving properly on the proper direction to travel when cutting this type of cut, I am having problems with it going in the wrong direction when I am on the 360° to the +0° side, it wants to go the wrong direction all the way around, I thought I have it when I change a parameter A18 from 0 to 1 stating to take short rotations, where the other choice was 0 was rotation based on program specific, that what it was on, but all short C axis moves would want to go around 360 degrees. When I changed to 1, it worked correctly on all plus zero moves, but now that I created a program with starting at 180 degrees positives to 0° positives, it wants to go back around again with the setting at 1.

Message 4 of 7
seth.madore

Here's the file.

Sorry, I'm not well versed on post edits for multi-axis. I think you're going to want to use a "cyclic" definition and toggle between a -1 or 1 to get the direction set correctly.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 5 of 7
CNC_Lee

@newtoinventor 

You will need a custom post written for this machine if the generic post is not providing the correct output for your machine. There are professionals who can develop the post and confifgure it to suit your needs! 

CNC_Lee_0-1691592583943.png

If my post answers your question, please use Accept as Solution.

CNC Lee
Fusion 360 CAM Post Processor Expert
https://linktr.ee/cnclee
Message 6 of 7
newtoinventor
in reply to: CNC_Lee

Who are these professional, how quick are they to make changes, how expensive are they?

Message 7 of 7
CNC_Lee

@newtoinventor 

Send me a message and we can discuss further!

If my post answers your question, please use Accept as Solution.

CNC Lee
Fusion 360 CAM Post Processor Expert
https://linktr.ee/cnclee

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report