Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My lathe uses Y as the main spindle direction, How do I change from Z as default?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
hello42F7H
353 Views, 7 Replies

My lathe uses Y as the main spindle direction, How do I change from Z as default?

I've purchased a Chinese wood lathe and the main feature I want to use (for now) is 2d turning. 

For whatever reason the manufacturer has decided that Y is the main spindle direction whereas I believe the norm is Z. Z is the other direction that I need. 

To put another way I'm working entirely in the ZY plane but the opposite of what you might expect. 

Either I'm missing something or its not possible to change the main spindle direction in fusion.

Am I wrong or maybe there's a workaround? 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
kechao.wu
in reply to: hello42F7H

Hi @hello42F7H,

As tooltip says, you could set the Z axis direction by clicking either face or edge in the setup dialog.

kechaowu_0-1686116628844.png

Thanks,

Kechao

Message 3 of 8
hello42F7H
in reply to: kechao.wu

Hi @kechao.wu

I don't have a problem selecting the Z axis but my lathe doesn't use the Z axis as the rotary axis. 

Even in the hint panel that drops down it says "Z Axis (rotary axis)" which makes me think Fusion is inflexible in that regard but maybe theres a workaround or some way to force Fusion to accept Y as the rotary axis that I'm not aware of?  

Message 4 of 8
a.laasW8M6T

This can be done with a post processor modification(which I don't know how to do)

You would still select the rotary axis as Z in fusion but the postprocessor would convert the output code to suit your machine

What controller does your machine have?

Message 5 of 8
matty.fuller

I believe in Fusion Z will always be the axis of rotation.

For 2 axis turning it's extremely simple to just modify the post processor such that it outputs Z co-ordinates as Y and X as Z. 

For most posts near the top you'll have all the formatting definitions. You'd look for something like:

var xOutput = createVariable({prefix:"X"}, xFormat);
var yOutput = createVariable({prefix:"Y"}, yFormat);
var zOutput = createVariable({prefix:"Z"}, zFormat);

and then change it to:

var xOutput = createVariable({prefix:"Z"}, xFormat);
var zOutput = createVariable({prefix:"Y"}, zFormat);

Then check your posted code, you should see Z replaced with Y and X replaced with Z.

Message 6 of 8
seth.madore

Somewhat related to the above questions; Is this an actual lathe attachment that spins at speed (not positioning driven by a servo) and uses static turning tools, or are you planning on using a spinning endmill while the lathe slowly rotates?

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 7 of 8
seth.madore
in reply to: matty.fuller

@matty.fuller wrote:

I believe in Fusion Z will always be the axis of rotation.

This is correct.

@matty.fuller wrote:

For 2 axis turning it's extremely simple to just modify the post processor such that it outputs Z co-ordinates as Y and X as Z. 

For most posts near the top you'll have all the formatting definitions. You'd look for something like:

var xOutput = createVariable({prefix:"X"}, xFormat);
var zOutput = createVariable({prefix:"Z"}, zFormat);

and then change it to:

var xOutput = createVariable({prefix:"Z"}, xFormat);
var zOutput = createVariable({prefix:"Y"}, zFormat);

Then check your posted code, you should see Z replaced with Y and X replaced with Z.

I think there's also some changes needed for arc moves; I/K is for X/Z, so YZ would have J/K assignments (just a guess, but something to look out for). Of course, it could be handled easier with "useRadius" instead of I/J/K values.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 8 of 8
hello42F7H
in reply to: matty.fuller

@matty.fuller How much would you charge to write a post script for me?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report