Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi-axis contour

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
rstoddard9MQBB
125 Views, 4 Replies

Multi-axis contour

Maybe someone can explain why the tool path refuses to follow the assigned contour?  It will produce on the convex arcs but not the concave sections.  Maybe I'm trying to produce this tool path out of the normal process?

Any insight would be helpful!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Would you be able to share your Fusion file here?
File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d/.f3z file in your reply.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 5

Hi Seth,

I've attached the file to this reply. I'm sure I'm trying to make this operation do something it wasn't intended to.  However, I couldn't get the swarf function to select guide paths properly and resorted to what gave the best result so far.  I modified the model from a vendor supplied file to create this latest revision.  There could be something wrong with it as well.  

Thank you for your attention to this.

Rob

Message 4 of 5

Hi @rstoddard9MQBB,

Multi-axis toolpath tries to touch selected curve but it's not possible inside these concave sections without gouging more than tolerance so some cutting paths are trimmed away. It's possible to avoid this by increasing tolerance but you'll get small gouges against bottom surface.

I've made the following:

1) Reduced "Surface triangulation tolerance" to get better surface normals and more smooth toolpath as result.

olegtikhomirov_0-1704452476654.png

2) Increased tolerance

olegtikhomirov_1-1704452575923.png

Toolpath isn't trimmed but it has gouges (in tolerance) against bottom surface.

olegtikhomirov_2-1704452631681.png

olegtikhomirov_3-1704452681890.png

Oleg Tikhomirov
Software Engineer
Message 5 of 5

I did expect the gouges due to the way that it is.  This has helped tremendously.  Thank you so much!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report