Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mult. offsets

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
hphanQ726A
298 Views, 14 Replies

Mult. offsets

Hi all,

After a while using Fusion 360, and I am happy with it.

I want to dive deeper into it. Here is a thought that might help the job go easy:

On the Lathe side:

if I am using T0101 for the 1st DIM, and T0120 for the 2nd DIM, and so forth. How do I need to modify tool table on the post that will out-put T0101 and T0120? right now it only output T0101 but not T0120 on the tool list. Notice: the program output codes are correct, just the tool table listed on the heading is not.

I appreciate for any help.

H. Phan

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
seth.madore
in reply to: hphanQ726A

Could you share a Fusion file that represents this workflow so we can better understand what you're running into?

File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 15
hphanQ726A
in reply to: seth.madore

file share link, if it not working then I will download then upload here, please let me know:

https://a360.co/3wc3wQK

Out put T202:

hphanQ726A_0-1707494321737.png

hphanQ726A_1-1707494350077.png

hphanQ726A_2-1707494384135.png

The program output is perfect, the only tool list which need to output like this:

hphanQ726A_3-1707494461367.png

THANKs for your times.

Message 4 of 15
Don.Cyr

Pretty sure it's because Fusion sees it as the same physical tool but only the offset is different. So when it grabs the tool definition, it posts the information for the tool. This would probably require a post modification as typically you would only use a single offset assigned to that particular tool. Why would you require separate offsets for the same tool?

Please click "Accept Solution" if I helped with your question or issue.
Message 5 of 15
hphanQ726A
in reply to: Don.Cyr

If you are working on the LATHE WORLD, you will see why; sometimes we are using 1 tool but many offsets.
Message 6 of 15
seth.madore

I don't disagree with the premise of using one tool with multiple offsets, I do that on occasion with thread milling tools either on my mill or turn/mill, when I have multiple thread sizes to manage.

In your actual file, it appears that all of OP1 is being handled by T202, but everything on OP2 is being handled by T220. When do you expect to see both bits of tool information posted out in your program?

Seth Madore
Message 7 of 15
hphanQ726A

@seth.madore 

Yes sir. 

I do expect it output T202 and T220 on the tool list heading. If we cannot do it, then I will manual entry it on the tool list, but it looks very professional when we can post it out automatic on every single time. 

A reason for this purpose is to learn deeper into the Fusion post processor.

Thank you for your time.

Message 8 of 15
seth.madore

What post processor are you using?

To clarify your expectation:

When you post out OP1, you expect to see T202 in the header

When you post out OP2, you expect to see T220. 

Is that an accurate understanding of what you're looking for?

Or is it "When I post out both programs as one file, I expect to see both tools listed in the header"

Seth Madore
Message 9 of 15
hphanQ726A

I expect  to see this on the heading:

hphanQ726A_0-1707755613129.png

Message 10 of 15
seth.madore

I understand that. But, for which program? If one Setup is only using T202, it is not possible to include tool info data from a tool that is not being used in the Setup. Hence, why I asked what your workflow is for when you expect to see data from other tools.

Seth Madore
Message 11 of 15
hphanQ726A

@seth.madore 

Normally, When I program a part with 2 OPs at the time, and post G54 &55 at one. I want to see all tools on OP 1&2 on the tool list such as T202 & T220, in this case both T202 & T220 are being used for both OPs, then they should be outputted on the tool list heading, right? 

Message 12 of 15
seth.madore

Ah, I didn't see it mentioned above that you were posting out both programs at the same time. I figured that was the case, but you didn't state it anywhere 🙂

Seth Madore
Message 13 of 15
seth.madore

This will require a bit of thought on my end to make work as you expect. I'll get back to you when I've worked it out 😉

Seth Madore
Message 14 of 15
Don.Cyr

I was asking because after 34 years working in the LATHE WORLD, I have never used 2 offsets for a turning tool the way you are doing it. Your work offsets G54/G55 should control the Z origin of the part on each face and not the tool offset. Your turning tool should only have 1 offset in the control (T0202). G54/G55 work offsets should be different values depending on where the origin of the part when it is flipped. If this workflow is followed as intended, then Fusion will output the correct information as expected.

Please click "Accept Solution" if I helped with your question or issue.
Message 15 of 15
hphanQ726A
in reply to: Don.Cyr

@Don.Cyr 

I do understand the concept you are saying; the advance of using mult. offsets are, we can control different ODs/IDs which is using one tool. I am working tolerance within 0.0002". I don't know what type of work you are working, but our is tight.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report