Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modeled NPT threads

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
benjamintoews
673 Views, 7 Replies

Modeled NPT threads

Where did the modeled NPT threads go?

I thought i was missing some setting but i looked back in previous models that had tapered pipe threads and they are all changed to cosmetic or whatever its called.

I see there's a setting on the browser now, did that change something?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
seth.madore
in reply to: benjamintoews

Admittedly, I haven't had need for any NPT holes, but I'm fairly certain we've never had a "modeled" option for "Taper Thread" in the Hole Command.

Which setting are you referring to "on the browser"?

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 8
benjamintoews
in reply to: seth.madore

Ok. The light was starting to dawn. The option was probably never there.

I see there is a workaround but I don’t think I have to have this option. Hopefully someday it’s added.

Thanks!
Message 4 of 8

Internal yes (Sort of):

here 

External not

Message 5 of 8
fflesh

Seth, With all due respect it doesn't matter whAt you have required but what the community you service requires and calls for. ALLLLLLLL of North America uses NPT or American Pipe standard threads and to eliminate for the sake OF DIN PIPE THREADS is a definitive issue AutoDesk has a separation issue with the needs of the manufacturing community. I mean.....NPT threads for turning. Should I just spend $10K on a Rigid Branded Pipe Threading machine? I have some glass impregnated teflon I need to machine a custome sized NPT thread into/ on. This software is becoming preventative tbh. I spent the money but am met with unreasonable and unsolicited changes to the lathe programming. Sorry to be harsh but this is what I use to make money and feed myself with. BobCAD doesn't have these issues. I am harsh and unforgiving but someone is living comfy with their choices at AutoDesk while I struggle with what THEY sold me.

Message 6 of 8
seth.madore
in reply to: fflesh

@fflesh 

Hey there.

We didn't remove anything. It was never an option to create NPT threads natively. We're not having a bias towards one unit system or another, it's just been a known limitation. 

There are several ways to do what you're trying without actually modeling the threads in your part. Model a tapered hole/post and apply a threadmill or turning/thread toolpath to it. 

Seth Madore
Message 7 of 8
fflesh

I never implied NPT disappeared. The fact its not a basic option is absurd to me. I live in Canada and will NEVER encounter one single EURO standard. If I wanted to use work arounds I would just buy the Rigid Pipe Threading machine. In 1.5 yrs Id pay it off without the hassle of software work arounds. NPT.....My opinion is that in North America any EURO standard should have the work around and a basic American NPT thread should be easily attainable without a buncha jibba jabba. A basic DEFAULT. Luckily I can program that thread at the control panel on my Haas Lathe. Why should I have to scab together bits of programming from different software platforms tho to make a simple single diameter part with a tapered thread?
Im harsh because I gave my money more than once for this software and times like this shouldnt cost me money.
Message 8 of 8
seth.madore
in reply to: fflesh

@fflesh well, it's going to continue to be absurd to you. It's a modeling challenge that we've not invested time into fixing yet. It's not a preference for one standard over another, it's just simple "straight threads are easy, tapered are not". There are workarounds that aren't as absurd as buying a $10k pipe threader; a quick 1-2 minute model of a tapered boss is sufficient.

Seth Madore

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report