Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

model not oriented correctly for machine

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
david_barnard81
199 Views, 6 Replies

model not oriented correctly for machine

Hello all, 

So I'm very new to any and all of the software and machining in general.  However, I've been able to get where am at with a lot of time on youtube.  

Goal: to engrave markings on a pre-designed part uploaded as an igs.

Current status:  Thus far, I have managed to create sketches and the texts i need for the part and have even posted the codes and tried running them.  The problem is the part is not oriented correctly for the machine and therefore has Z axis opposite of where it needs to be.  I have tried playing with the WCS in the setup menu when i edit it, but the part seems to remain the same on the machine in the simulation.  I have also tried flipping the X and Y but no luck.  Could there be an issue when i uploaded the part?  I have also tried moving the part but still no change.  Thanks for any ideas.  Let me know if you need more info and I'll see what i can come up with.  

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

You align the part with the correct WCS alignment. If this isn't solving your issue, could you share your Fusion file here?

File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for the idea I'll give that a go and see what comes of it.  

Message 4 of 7

I appreciate the idea.  I've been battling this for the last few months now.  I'm extremely new to all this.  I haven't taken any classes for machining or cad/cam or anything.  I have Federal Firearms license in firearms manufacturing.  So by law I have to serialize anything I make.  I'm using a GG3 machine and I've reached out to others who have used it but haven't really gotten where i need to be with it.  I'll see if i can post the file here though.

Message 5 of 7

In this video (no audio), I show you how to define your WCS correctly. I chose the front takedown hole as my datum, but you can set it anywhere you want. I also show you how to turn a surface body (that was very much unstitched and not an actual solid model) into a solid model.

Seth Madore
Message 6 of 7

Thank you very much for that video.  I was able to  adjust the wcs and reorient the z axis after seeing that.  Was it not being a solid model possibly part of the problem?

Message 7 of 7

No, it not being a solid was only going to cause you issues in other areas (drilling, some contour work, stuff like that)

Seth Madore

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report