Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Milling two shapes in one go

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
charizards
273 Views, 10 Replies

Milling two shapes in one go

I'd like to machine out two shapes and for efficiency, I'd like to cut out the Red arrow (see pic) in one go.  How do I select just that small portion that's left (black question mark in pic)? The distance between the two shapes are exactly the same as the tool head diameter. 

charizards_0-1690293573914.png

Tags (2)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
seth.madore
in reply to: charizards

You don't need to, actually. You can use Start/End Extensions to scoot it out beyond!
You might be able to just turn on Stock Contours, but I'm uncertain as to whether it will continue along collinear or just go tangent to the outside.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 11
charizards
in reply to: seth.madore

Thanks for replying! 

I've put in the extension but it somehow now misses that small part. 

charizards_0-1690295337492.png

charizards_1-1690295379701.png

Message 4 of 11
seth.madore

Press the ALT key, select the angled section only. Release the ALT key. You've now made an "open" selection. Apply the extension to that chain.
Alternatively..

Would you be able to share your Fusion file here or privately?
File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply. To share the file privately, it's the same process, but email it to me: seth DOT madore AT autodesk DOT com

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 11
charizards

Hi Seth. I don't mind sharing here but I will be deleting the file after a few days for privacy reasons. 

Another question I'd like to ask is how do I change the order of which edges to cut first? I'd like the outer edges to be cut first and then the middle cuts. 

Thank you again

Message 6 of 11
seth.madore

On the "Passes Tab" there's a "Preserve Order" button. Select the contours in the order you want them to be cut and toggle that option on.

Seth Madore
Message 7 of 11
charizards

Thank you!

I've used an extension for the middle vertical cut by 30 mm to cut that corner off but it ends up just cutting through the shape. 

charizards_0-1690364228082.png

charizards_1-1690364327847.png

Message 8 of 11
charizards

I've ended up having to separate it into two operations. Is there a way to combine them without having the corner problem?

charizards_0-1690367588757.png

Message 9 of 11
seth.madore

Which "corner problem" are you referring to?

Seth Madore
Message 10 of 11
charizards

charizards_0-1690370205655.png

Message 11 of 11
seth.madore

Because the toolpaths cross each other, you're going to have to put them in separate toolpaths. Otherwise, it will trim off a section of them:

2023-07-26_07h52_07.png

Seth Madore

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report