Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Milling a slot

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
miengineer313
235 Views, 10 Replies

Milling a slot

Hello!

I have a 5 1/2" x 3/4" slot with 1/8" corner radius that id like to mill with two different size endmills. A 1/2" flat endmill to cut the bulk of material, then a 1/4" flat end mill to come in and clean up the walls and get the 1/8"R corners. Im having trouble getting the 1/4" endmill to only clean up the walls. I am attaching a picture for clarity. 

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
engineguy
in reply to: miengineer313

@miengineer313 

Are you looking for something like the image below, if so try the attached file, may help 🙂 🙂

Finishing with smaller tool example.jpg

Message 3 of 11
miengineer313
in reply to: engineguy

That helped a ton! Changing the bottom height to "selected contours" changed everything. Anyway you could explain that so I know for future use? I usually just select "stock top" then enter the height in a negative value to get the tool to the depth I need. 

Message 4 of 11
miengineer313

Also in your simulation it shows the stock as a solid piece. I cannot seem to get that on mine, any suggestions? 

Message 5 of 11
engineguy

@miengineer313 

I used the Selected Contours as that is usually the best option for doing something like this, it is in my opinion more specific and accurate.

You should get a solid stock if you uncheck the Transparent option as in the image below. Hope this gives you a bit more clarity 🙂 🙂

Finishing with smaller tool example-1.jpg

Message 6 of 11
miengineer313

Gotcha! I might do it that way from now on. 

As far as the transparency, when I start my simulation the slot is already gone. It doesn't show the material being machined. It just shows the toolpath. 

see attached 🙂

Message 7 of 11
engineguy

@miengineer313 

In your image you have the Transparancy checked so you need to uncheck it, also your image doesn`t show what you have the Opacity set to, if that slider is all the way to the Left then what you will get is as shown below.

finishing with smaller tool example-2.jpg

Message 8 of 11
miengineer313

I tried tampering with the settings, still cant seem to get it 😕 I took another screenshot, looks like my settings are pretty similar to yours.

I appreciate all the help!

Message 9 of 11
seth.madore

It doesn't look like you ever shared your Fusion file. I suspect what you're seeing is because your Stock is the same as your Model, but that's just a guess. Could you share your actual Fusion file here?
File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 10 of 11
miengineer313
in reply to: seth.madore

You were correct! I changed the stock option from "from solid" to "relative size box" with no additional stock and it worked. Greatly appreciated!

Message 11 of 11
engineguy

@miengineer313 

That would be correct, I had to create a file to show as a example, always best if you can upload your Fusion f3d file 🙂 🙂 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report