Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Milled piece smaller than Design in Y-axis only

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
sjj530
112 Views, 1 Reply

Milled piece smaller than Design in Y-axis only

I designed a curved shape to be used as a template in another operation.   In the design, the narrowest section is 1.5" and the widest 3.5".   The length is 17.75".  When I mill it, the widths are correct, but the length is 1/8" short.   I'm cutting with a 1/8" bit.   

If I had just set the 2D contour to the inside of the line (which I didn't, I checked) I'd expect both X & Y dimensions to be too small by twice the width of the bit.  Similarly, if it was a runout problem with the router or an error in the size of the bit the delta in size should be consistent in both width and length.  But that isn't happening.   With the widths correct but the length off I am stumped.   

I suppose there could be a problem with the Y-axis movement of the CNC, while the X-axis is fine, but the fact that the difference on the Y-axis is exactly the width of the bit makes me suspicious.  

Any thoughts?  Thanks!

template.jpg

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
jscott6SWZG
in reply to: sjj530

Have you calibrated the y axis mm/ rev

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report