Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mill Circle or Bore

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
alan
385 Views, 9 Replies

Mill Circle or Bore

Hello,

I would like to be able to do a circle operation like a Haas G13.  Go into a already drill hole.  Make a circle move to increase the bore size and come out.  I have gotten near what I want with the Bore Function and making the ramp 90 degrees.  Seems like there was a way to do this in Fusion in the past.

Please help.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
DarthBane55
in reply to: alan

If you want a spiral, use adaptive or 2d adaptive.  2d contour works too sometimes... no idea what triggers it to spiral, I had 2 identical holes once and it would spiral on 1 of them only.  Usually adaptive does the trick.

Message 3 of 10
ritste20
in reply to: DarthBane55

If you are just trying to plunge to the bottom and cut a circle, use 2D contour and pick the center of the hole as a predrill location on the linking tab. You will also need to have "keep tool down" turned on to use predrill positions.

Regards,

Steve Ritter
Manufacturing Engineer

AutoCAD/Draftsight
Inventor/Solidworks
Fusion 360
Message 4 of 10
HughesTooling

How about Circular with lead to centre enabled?

HughesTooling_0-1683974968493.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
programming2C78B

the Circular toolpath is very good and often forgotten, or straight up not known about. It's exactly for these situations. 

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!
Message 6 of 10

Not sure why I thought he wanted a spiral, but the bore cycle works great for his initial request, there is a box to say "start from center", just like circular does, except bore has a few more options, and if you put the top height equal to the bottom height, it then does the same as circular.  I have yet to find a use for circular, because bore does the same and more.

Message 7 of 10

easier/quicker to program it "right" when you just want to re-cut a pre-drilled hole to final size in stepdowns without any helix behavior.

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!
Message 8 of 10
CRANDALLPRECISION

I agree a spiral out option in circular is needed. This way you have dynamic motion and could pick all holes of same diameter in one click. Dynamic works but in plates with a pile of circular pockets picking becomes time consuming. Helix bore in hard material is hard on tip of tool and bigger holes require multiple stepovers anyway.

Message 9 of 10

It would be nice to have a circular pocket OP. 2D Adaptive gives a nice spiral toolpath but then you need a 2d profile or bore to finish. Would be nicer if something similar to Bore or Circular was available to spiral out then finish in one go, maybe even add spiral to the Bore and Circular ops. @seth.madore could you add a request?

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 10
DarthBane55
in reply to: HughesTooling

I 2nd that big time!  Give a choice to spiral and/or helix.  Many times in aluminum I would like to helix down then spiral out to final size, but right now if you say you want 2 passes (roughing) with bore operation, it does 2 full helix (unless the 2nd pass is a finish pass, that works good when it applies).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums