Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marking hole location with plasma

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
sebbecx
557 Views, 2 Replies

Marking hole location with plasma

Is there any way to use the plasma operations to mark a hole location in fusion? With that i mean move to hole location before lighting the arc for a few milliseconds thus making a small crater? I know this is possible with for example sheetcam but havent figures out how to do so in fusion. I have tried to do so with a drill operation but my postprocessor does not suppport it. 

Thanks in advance

Sebastian

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
belstain
in reply to: sebbecx

Unfortunately there's no great way to do this.  But there are workarounds that aren't too bad once it's all set up.

What I did is create a Favorited dimension to use on simple pierced holes. Mine is .200" diameter. So whenever I want a marked center I just make the hole in my design (or a sketch overlay) that size. Then I created a Tool with the plasma kerf set to a couple thou under the hole size. Then I saved a toolpath with no lead in/out as a Template so I can quickly just pick the .200" hole or sketch circle  and not ever need to mess with any of those settings again. This gives a toolpath that pierces then moves in a .002" circle, so basically just a point. 

Because plasma toolpaths have no Lead To Center option I also created templates for common hole sizes with lead ins that start approximately in the center of the hole. So for example I have templates for holes 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8. Each has its own lead in that gets the pierce point near center. I have another for holes bigger than half inch but still too small to use my normal lead in/out templates. 

Message 3 of 3
gmcnuttHCF6S
in reply to: belstain

could you share your tool setup?  I am trying to get accurate placement of holes

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums