Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manufacturing extension required for 4th axis?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
jphalip
295 Views, 7 Replies

Manufacturing extension required for 4th axis?

Hi,

I'm looking to add a 4th rotary axis to my CNC router. I already have a paid Fusion 360 license, but it looks like to access the 4th axis functionality I'd need to upgrade to the Machining extension. Is that correct?

If so, unfortunately the cost for the extension would be a little too steep as a hobbyist 🙂  so I'd have to look for an alternative tool.

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
AdamKunzo
in reply to: jphalip

You can use indexingtoolpath (3+1 axis) and wrapped 2 axis toolpath without the extension.

Message 3 of 8
jphalip

@AdamKunzo Thanks for your reply. I assume you're referring to the "Wrap toolpath" option in the 2D adaptive clearing/procket/contour (see: https://help.autodesk.com/view/fusion360/ENU/?guid=GUID-7FF25192-AED7-4230-92DC-E22ADF15D498), is that right?

I just gave that a try, but it looks like I can only select flat geometries. If I select other geometries, then Fusion 360 doesn't create any toolpaths for those.

Basically what I'm trying to do is carve a wooden figurine, say for example a chess piece. Similar to what this Youtuber does using VCarve Pro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xH6NT6mFX8

1) Start with a stock.

2) Round the stock to make it cylindrical

3) Do a rough pass to take most of the material out in a stairs-like shape.

4) Do a finish pass with a small ball nose bit to carve out the details.

I hope that makes sense. Please let me know what you think or if I've missed something.

Thanks!

Message 4 of 8
seth.madore

No, features like that would most certainly require the use of the Machining Extension, sorry to say.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 5 of 8
jphalip

@seth.madore I've found this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frr8m9uILfk) which shows a functionality that used to be available behind a hidden feature flag. I assume the feature is now only available in the Machining extension, is that correct?

Message 6 of 8
seth.madore

That's correct. It was released for all to use while it was in development. Once it was properly matured, it was limited to the Extension, and you can see that intent here (taken from that video)

2024-01-27_07h51_38.png

Seth Madore
Message 7 of 8
jphalip
in reply to: seth.madore

@seth.madore I just wanted to clarify something. What I'm after is the ability to use a 4th axis by lock Y in a given position, and then program toolpaths on X, Z, and the rotary axis. So technically I assume you could call it a 3-axis operation, where Y is locked in one position.

This is very easy to do with a tool like VCarve Pro.

In F360 I understand that there's the ability to use "Wrapped toolpath". But then you'd have to lock both Z and Y in given positions and then be limited to program toolpaths just on X and the rotary axis. Is that correct?

This is very easy to do with a tool like VCarve Pro. It'd be great if a similar feature could be made available in the regular F360 license. I presume it is something that a lot of hobbyists would be interested in.

Thanks!

Message 8 of 8
seth.madore

I don't believe there are any plans to create a non-Extension toolpath such as what you are looking for, sorry.

Seth Madore

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums