Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manufacture > 2D Contour > Geometry > Silhouette Outside Loops + Always Outside wrongly cuts inside

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
tonymuka
705 Views, 22 Replies

Manufacture > 2D Contour > Geometry > Silhouette Outside Loops + Always Outside wrongly cuts inside

This seems like a pretty obvious bug in the new geometry contour selection features. 

Manufacture > 2D Contour > Geometry > Silhouette Outside Loops + Always Outside wrongly cuts inside the body instead of outside.   No combination of loop and always inside/outside seems to give me an outside path.  

I can reproduce this with even simple cylinder bodies as pictured in the attached screenshots.  here's my file https://a360.co/41ALJxP

I really appreciate the work on improving the contour selection tools, but I can't seem to get the paths I need right now.   Is this a bug? Is there a way to revert to the previous release selection tools to finish my project?

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
jhackney1972
in reply to: tonymuka

As you can see in the video, I do not have an issue using the Silhouette Outside geometry option as you point out.  Please attach your model for a closer look.  If you do not know how to attach your Fusion 360 model follow these easy steps. Open the model in Fusion 360, select the File menu, then Export and save as a F3D or F3Z file to your hard drive. Then use the Attachments section, of a forum post, to attach it.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 23
seth.madore
in reply to: jhackney1972

@jhackney1972 he included his a360 link 😉

To directly answer the question; it's because it's seeing the sketch first. Turn the sketch off and proceed as expected

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 4 of 23
jhackney1972

I did not see your model link before I posted before.  I opened your model and indeed it is cutting on the inside.  I edited your 2D Contour and deleted the selected Geometry and re-selected using your same settings and it works just fine.  I am at a lost what you did to get the error.  Model is attached.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Message 5 of 23
jhackney1972
in reply to: seth.madore

I thought it was the visible sketch also but I tried it with it on or off and it made no difference for me.

John Hackney
Retired

Message 6 of 23
seth.madore

Hmm... 🤔

Seth Madore
Message 7 of 23
tonymuka

Hi @jhackney1972  I really appreciate you taking them time to help me here!  I had the same behavior on two different computers, albeit i was logged in with the same fusion username to both.  

I see in your video you select the cylinder outer face.  I didn't know that was necessary.  I expected that since "use setup model" was checkmarked it would automatically identify the XY silhouette of my body to cut because when I make the geometry "silhouette" selection it adds a blue circle on line i'd like to cut outside of without me needing to click anywhere on the model body.  

After more experimenting, I have figured out that the issue only happens if I extrude the sketch in the negative Z direction below the origin.  ( -0.5" ) in my file.  If I switch that to extruding a positive 0.5" Z direction then the 2D Contour outside toolpath gets correctly selected with just the "use setup model" selected!   I'm new to Fusion, so maybe it's wrong for me to extrude in the negative direction?

In the file I'm working on beyond my simple example I have sketches extruded in both negative and positive directions.

Thanks!

Message 8 of 23
jhackney1972

Creating your extrusion in a negative direction should have no bearings on the 2D Contour.  I just tried another model where the extrusion was in a negative direction and it works just fine.  In fact, I cannot get any of my new models or your model to fail when I apply my own 2D Contour toolpath.  I did see your model but for the life of me I do not see what caused the problem and I cannot replicate it.

By the way, I just naturally select the outside face but I tried selecting elsewhere and it makes not difference.

On another topic, when you reply to a Forum post, select on the "Reply" icon on the post you are replying to.  This will address you post to that individual and not yourself.

John Hackney
Retired

Message 9 of 23
tonymuka

hmm.  Now I can't recreate the negative or positive extrusion direction mattering!?  I recorded a video of my problem in case that helps. Very possibly I'm just expecting it to work differently than it does.   Your method of manually selecting the cylinder walls in addition to "use setup model" does get the result I want.  Thanks!

[edited to remove my 4k screen capture video that didn't record correctly all the fusion panel layers]

Message 10 of 23
jhackney1972

The video you posted does not show your full screen or any dialog boxes so it does not help understand your process.  Next time you post a video, choose MEDIUM as the video size when you attach it also.

John Hackney
Retired

Message 11 of 23
tonymuka

oh no, my apologies for not previewing the video I uploaded.  Clearly weirdness happened between Windows 11 in 4K on my laptop, x-box video capture, and Fusion.  I promise my screen showed all the panels for the full process, but for whatever reason they didn't get recorded!  I'll see if I can re-do that. 

Message 12 of 23
tonymuka

I found better screen capture software, OSB Studio, that was able to capture my entire screen, not just some of the fusion layers.   In the process, I think I also figured out that choosing "Start outside" instead of "Always outside" worked as I expected to cut the cylinder outside.   Thanks @jhackney1972 for your patience, speed, and helping me figure this out!  I'm still not sure if this is an issue with me using it wrong, or an actual bug, but either way, I can get the results I was missing now!

Message 13 of 23
jhackney1972

You are welcome.  If my Forum post solved your question, please select the "Accept Solution" icon to do three things. First it allows others to find a solution to a similar question, two, it closes the Forum post and last, it acknowledges that you accept the solution given. If you need further help, please ask.

John Hackney
Retired

Message 14 of 23
tonymuka

Thanks, John. I'm all for giving you credit for helping me by marking this solution accepted, but I also would welcome additional feedback from AutoDesk about if this feature is working as intended or a bug in the new geometry contour selection features. I want to be sure I don't close it before developers get a chance to see it. I'll circle back to this tomorrow. I really appreciate your prompt feedback.
Message 15 of 23
tonymuka

I see my post was moved from the "Fusion 360 Support" category to the "Fusion 360 Manufacture" category.  Apologies if I put it in the wrong place, but the description of the "Support" category seemed more appropriate if the behavior I'm seeing is in fact a bug which should be addressed by the Fusion 360 team.

That question about if it's a bug or not remains unanswered... Am I the only one that thinks it is weird behavior?

"Fusion 360 Support": "Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion 360 issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion 360 team."

Message 16 of 23
seth.madore

@tonymuka wrote:

I see my post was moved from the "Fusion 360 Support" category to the "Fusion 360 Manufacture" category.  Apologies if I put it in the wrong place, but the description of the "Support" category seemed more appropriate if the behavior I'm seeing is in fact a bug which should be addressed by the Fusion 360 team.

That question about if it's a bug or not remains unanswered... Am I the only one that thinks it is weird behavior?

"Fusion 360 Support": "Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion 360 issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion 360 team."

Yeah, we've been after the Forum folks for some time to provide a more accurate description of what fits where. As a general rule, everything CAM belongs here, everything Design belongs in Design. This helps get eyes on the topic as quickly as possible

Seth Madore
Message 17 of 23
t.lamourine

I'm having this issue myself now.  Used to just select the outer profile and Fusion just knew it was an outside thing. I didn't have to even go into the "silhouette" selection. now, It's happened every time I select a simple round object.  I can't get it to stop either! went and deleted selection and tried numerous settings and none worked, on 3 models I'm working on.  the "solution: here isn't a solution as it not actually fixed?  LOL 🤔

Message 18 of 23
a.laasW8M6T
in reply to: t.lamourine

Turn your sketch off, that's what's interfering with the correct selections.

What happens is you pick the sketch contour rather than the model edge and because its a sketch it doesn't know which side it should be cutting on.

When you turn the sketch off and select the model edge it works fine

Message 19 of 23
t.lamourine
in reply to: a.laasW8M6T

Well, that seems to work.. I sorta get why it's doing it but is still doesn't make sense, shouldn't it select the body over the sketch in manufacturing?. what ever, it works so Thanks!  😁

Message 20 of 23
Wayne_Carlson
in reply to: a.laasW8M6T

I have the same problem.

If I select "start outside" it leaves my part as it should be.  If I select "always outside", it cuts on the inside.  If I select "always inside", it still cuts on the inside.

I made a very simple file to demonstrate.  I made a single box, then did three operations with a single setup.  There are no sketches in the file at all. I made the three operations by creating the first one and duplicating it twice.  I only changed the names and edited the silhouette options on each to avoid having a possibility of differenced in selection. 

https://a360.co/463sTBn

I was cutting cabinet parts and used silhouette one one sheet of plywood because I couldn't use contour selection as I usually do due to a dado on the back of a part.  Silly me figured "Always outside" would be the safe choice.  I didn't discover the dimensional discrepancy until I had the part partly glued and screwed, so now I'm out hundreds of dollars in materials

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums