Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

making a flat pattern of half of elbow

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
tim.gsmachine
229 Views, 8 Replies

making a flat pattern of half of elbow

I have drawn half of a 4" elbow and i want to make a flat pattern of it so that the blank can be laser cut and formed in a press. I cant figure out how to figure out the shape of a flat blank. please help 

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Can you export the design as an f3d and share here? If not can you create something similar to share.

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 9

Mark 

Thanks for the reply. We just finished another project for the same customer using titanium but it was a round to oval transition cone however they supplied the blank for us to laser cut. This is another project but we are having trouble determining a flat pattern. fusion file attached 

thanks in advance 

Message 4 of 9

Mark 

Further to this we are only looking to develop halve of the elbow as it will be welded in two pieces 

Message 5 of 9

I don't think you can do this in Fusion because it's curved in 2 directions so needs to be unwrapped. You can extract a surface and export as an STL then use MeshMixer to Unwrap it. See attached SVG exported from MeshMixer. Looks like you need to scale the svg by 1.3333 to get the correct size.

HughesTooling_0-1710608183748.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 9

Mark 

That's awesome, greatly appreciate the help one this. How did you know you had to scale it by 1.3333?

Message 7 of 9

@tim.gsmachine wrote:

Mark 

How did you know you had to scale it by 1.3333?

There are a few threads about the problem with scaling SVG imports. It seems like Fusion's default is 96dpi but exports from Illustrator are 72dpi so the scaling in 96/72. Odd thing is MeshMixer was created by AutoDesk so Fusion and MeshMixer using different defaults seems a bit odd!

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 8 of 9
seth.madore
in reply to: HughesTooling

This looks like a thread that would be better served in the Design forum, do you agree? (I can move it if it's better off living in that forum)

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 9 of 9

Mark 

Again thanks a lot for the help. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report