Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Machining Slanted Screw Pockets

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
koii_create
165 Views, 3 Replies

Machining Slanted Screw Pockets

Hi there,

So I’m working on a project for a CNC shop. One of their clients sent in this model to be machined from 3/4” plywood. Here’s a photo:Screenshot 2023-11-02 at 17.13.29.png

I have set up my first two operations but I am having trouble finding the right method to create the tool path for the screw pockets:

Screenshot 2023-11-02 at 14.49.28.png

They have a corner radius of 0.129” so I am using a 16th inch flat end mill bit. I have tried using the 3D adaptive clearing and the 3D pocket operations. I select the slanted surface like this:

Screenshot 2023-11-02 at 17.18.54.png

But when I click okay I always end up with the Empty toolpath error and of course there’s no change made in the green preview model.

Screenshot 2023-11-02 at 17.23.50.png

It's okay if the pockets have a small flat section on the bottom like this:

IMG_9365.jpg

I have checked with my contact at the shop and they do need to have the slanted part they can't just be a 2D indentation.

I am fairly new to CAM so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

-Koii

Labels (3)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Ringarn67
in reply to: koii_create

In "Heights" Tab, change "Bottom Height" from "Selection" to "Model Bottom" 
Message 3 of 4
seth.madore
in reply to: koii_create

"Model Bottom" does work, but the reason you were getting an empty toolpath is because you had selected the face at an angle. It doesn't autmatically find the lowest position in the pocket, it was actually finding the top edge. Either select "Model Bottom" as @Ringarn67 suggests, or select this bottom edge:

2023-11-03_04h57_19.png

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 4 of 4
koii_create
in reply to: seth.madore

Yup this was the solution! Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators