Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Machining 3D fillets

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
David_HCB
142 Views, 4 Replies

Machining 3D fillets

3D Fillets.jpg

Hi all,

How are people approaching machining fillets such as these?

all to be done with 6mm ball end mill.

With 3D contours with spall stepovers and contact boundary, tool centre on boundary the top edge isn;'t machined to the line as it's "rather horizontal", bottom half of the fillet the toolpath is good naturally. I've tried bottom up also and it still struggles to come close to the top line.

Thinking 3D Parallel might be better. Two passes, one at 0deg, one at 90deg, or perhaps 2 at 45 deg to get more material machined away.

3D flow seems to do a good job of the face, particularly in the case when I say 20 stepovers, just a bit paranoid as there is no ability to say don't touch other faces, but the toolpath looks good under simulation

thanks

David

David Harrison
Harrison Classic Boats

Win 10 / I7-11700K @ 4.9GHz / 64Gb RAM / SSD's
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
a.laasW8M6T
in reply to: David_HCB

I used to use blend a lot but my goto now is the Enhanced Flow toolpath

These both need to be turned on in preferences

bleflo.png

As you have found Contour doesn't do well in shallow areas, its primarily for steeper areas as it is a "Z Level" or "Waterline" toolpath,  in which the tool steps up or down in fixed Z level increments regardless of surface curvature

The Enhanced Flow and Blend toolpaths have an even stepover regardless of curvature and work really well on fillets

Message 3 of 5
David_HCB
in reply to: a.laasW8M6T

now that sounds good - I'll have a look

seems to do some nice lines, but still hard to see via simulate whether it's going to touch adjacent faces. From what I gather it started on the bottom geometry line using the top of the radius of the ball end mill so it should be safe.

just might need to run a test piece 🙂

thanks

David Harrison
Harrison Classic Boats

Message 4 of 5
leo.castellon
in reply to: David_HCB

My recommendation would be just to get some corner rounding tools, it will save you a ton of machining time, like these: end mills | McMaster-Carr . These tools are designed to machine those surfaces in 1 pass, if the material is harder, like for instance stainless steel, then 2-3 passes.

LeoC

Message 5 of 5
David_HCB
in reply to: leo.castellon

not a valid strategy I'm afraid.

All the fillets are 3D, ie. not planar to the XY plane, adjacent faces are tangential (but not in a perpendicular sense) and sloping in all directions.

I have plenty of round over bits but they are not suitable. I have a 3 axis flatbed and the material is wood. Surface finish isn't critical as it will have a final sanding, just need to cover as much of the "shape" of the surface so I don't have large cusps to deal with between adjacent faces. Seems flow gives the best results.

David_HCB_1-1679001302450.png

David Harrison
Harrison Classic Boats

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report