Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Machine simulation fails on circular toolpath with polar mode

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
elaspol
210 Views, 7 Replies

Machine simulation fails on circular toolpath with polar mode

Machine: Autodesk Generic 5-axis

Operation: 2D Contour

ManualNC: usePolarMode

Hi,

Simulation fails on circular toolpath. Other shapes seem to be simulated well.

Toolpath looks like this:

Screenshot_1.jpg

but simulated like straight lines:

Screenshot_2.jpg

  

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
seth.madore
in reply to: elaspol

What build of Fusion are you on, is this an Insider feature you're trying out? Or are you in regular Production trying to get something to work that isn't yet supported?

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 8
seth.madore

Oh, and your machine/post selection is interesting. You've got a generic machine selected, but you're using the Haas NGC post. We do have a large library of Haas machines, so what's your setup here?

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 4 of 8
a.laasW8M6T

I believe the issue lies with the way machine simulation interpolates rotary moves as straight lines, because the 2D contour there has just two rotary commands(in Gcode) to do the entire circle the tool moves in a straight line between points rather than properly rotating.

I thought this was only a problem with non TCP machine simulations as Brek explained to me.

The reason the Haas post is being used as its the only one that I know of that supports the "USEPOLARMODE" action

Message 5 of 8
brekmiller
in reply to: a.laasW8M6T

Seth, does polar mode turn off TCP?  If so, that might explain it.

In the latest development version of Fusion we have implemented non-TCP interpolation for simulation.  We should check to make sure that handles this case correctly.  (Users will get this in an upcoming release; though I think not the next release.)

Brek Miller

Software Engineer
Message 6 of 8
elaspol
in reply to: seth.madore

We are not part of the insider program.

Version: 2.0.18460 x86_64

I'm trying to implement PolarMode in millplus post and I got this result, so I went back a few steps to check if I get the same on the generic machine with NGC post.

Message 7 of 8
a.laasW8M6T

Hi

Just looking at this again

Because the Z axis is vertical  the post doesn't need to use TCP

Currently Machine Simulation doesn't correctly simulate certain Toolpaths properly when not using TCP(EDIT: I should clarify it doesn't simulate toolpaths containing long rotary moves correctly, short rotary/linear moves are approximated OK)

The output code will still be correct though, and should run just fine on the machine

(I know this from experience posting code to my 4th axis using Heidenhain iTNC530)

Message 8 of 8
brekmiller
in reply to: a.laasW8M6T

I have opened CAM-52109 for this.

Our internal development version of Fusion can handle non-TCP interpolation.  However, this example still doesn't work.  When the CPS file sees usePolarMode, it turns off TCP.  But it doesn't tell simulation that it has turned off TCP.  CAM-52109 is for fixing usePolarMode.

Brek Miller

Software Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report