Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lollipop Deburr Crosshole

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
alwall
229 Views, 5 Replies

Lollipop Deburr Crosshole

Happy Saturday! Got a tricky deburr question for those who like a challenge. I machine quite a few parts that have intersecting holes. On center is usually no problem and most circular/elliptical intersections I figure out...however, this one has me stumped. Got some flat bottom holes and some double intersecting holes (football shaped) that need a light edge break.

3D contour is not doing it for me and neither is Trace. 3D contour looks good, but gouges the part (randomly) and takes a while. What I really want is a Trace style path that will lead in/out in X/Y, run the traced outline of the hole and retract. Tool Comp on center is the only way the path looks okay but with no leads. If I put comp on, it's all weird. See below for some pics and I attached a condensed file a what I'm dealing with. Any help appreciated. 

Trace (No comp/No Leads):

alwall_0-1674935546198.png

Trace (Comp On...inside the part!)

alwall_1-1674935774241.png

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
a.laasW8M6T
in reply to: alwall

So I model a shallow chamfer on the part and use the Flow toolpath

Short Video on how i do it:

Message 3 of 6
alwall
in reply to: a.laasW8M6T

@a.laasW8M6T 

Thank You! I really appreciate you taking the time to post a detailed video with my part.

I had to play with the tolerance some and use a smaller lollipop on the D shaped holes, but this solved my woes of having to flex hone or otherwise hand deburr these parts. 

Message 4 of 6
alwall

@a.laasW8M6T 

I'm at it again with a new cross hole deburr issue. This one has two different inner diameters that the port intersect. I tried the previous method with shallow angle chamfers and I cannot get the vertical surfaces to play nice. My next go-to for stuff like this is a double angle chamfer cutter. They usually work great...on 2D backside deburring...but flow will not accept "form mill" as usable tool. Any ideas on how to force lollipop to work or another path that will can handle to double angle cutter (preferred)? Can I lie to the software somehow to get double angle to follow that path?

alwall_0-1694786767895.png

Message 5 of 6
a.laasW8M6T

Yea, you cannot use form tools with 3d toolpaths really, they work ok with most 2d toolpaths.

I do some undercut chamfers on sprockets with a double angle cutter and trace, but its not perfect and they are relatively shallow angles. once you get to steeper angles and radii like in this part trace will just gouge massively.

Flow does work here if you deselect the vertical faces, you can't really machine them with any tool anyway(from that orientation) because of the sharp corners, so you may have to accept that those edges will need some hand work

Message 6 of 6
alwall
in reply to: a.laasW8M6T

@a.laasW8M6T
As always, thanks for your input!
There is a small chance I can sneak in through the cross hole with another tool and get this done. These are machined in a horizontal. Customer will allow a sharp corner (possibly small burr), just no heavy/hanging burrs. Got hundreds to do, so I better get crackin'.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums