Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local tool library is now empty, deleted itself...

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
crbelanger
234 Views, 10 Replies

Local tool library is now empty, deleted itself...

My local tool library that I spent hours and hours creating is simply now empty....I was editing a tool while preparing a CAM job and had a crash.. restarted Fusion and went back to continue and my entire tool library is now empty.  I looked in the folder and do see the json file with my library name but its 0kb.  

Now what....I start from scratch and rebuild...how do I know it wont just happen again. This is going to cost me a ton of money in lost time, I pay for this software to make me money....I'm sooo frustrated.

Anyone experience this? Should I have created this library in a different way? Thought I was doing everything right..

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
seth.madore
in reply to: crbelanger

This is a local library, not a Cloud Library, correct?

Have you tried logging out of Fusion and then back in?

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 11
seth.madore

And to confirm, you've navigated your File Explorer to here:

2023-02-27_14h19_26.png

(the above image is of what I have on my "Local" library, not suggesting you should see the same data)

Seth Madore
Message 4 of 11
crbelanger

Yes local library, I have logged out of fusion and also rebooted PC, no difference.  I have browsed to the location you show and I do see a .json file with my library name but its 0 KB.   

Message 5 of 11
seth.madore

And you've positively logged in with the correct credentials (just trying to rule out possible easy solutions)

Have you run a computer wide search for that file? If that doesn't find it, could you try "Everything" finder?

Seth Madore
Message 6 of 11
crbelanger
in reply to: seth.madore

I just have the one user account(on my PC and Fusion).  I just tried that "everything" program, it finds just the one json  library file on my system that is empty.   

I realize now that I should have exported a copy of my library, had no idea it could be lost this easily.  Also enabled cloud storage now, is it best to build new library there?

Message 7 of 11
seth.madore

Having used Cloud Libraries for the last 7 years, I've never once had an issue with my tools going "poof". So, yeah; cloud libraries are certainly more robust. I'm sorry I don't have any other guidance to give you regarding your missing tool library...   😕

Seth Madore
Message 8 of 11
crbelanger

Also just to add, in the tool library manager, the library name is red, and it actually wont let me even add a new tool to it. The plus symbol at the top is grayed out. 

Message 9 of 11
seth.madore

Oh, that is noteworthy. Could you share a screenshot?

Seth Madore
Message 10 of 11
seth.madore

Have you tried to open the .json file in a text editor?

Seth Madore
Message 11 of 11
crbelanger
in reply to: seth.madore

I did try opening with text editor and it opens okay, but just empty.   

My guess its red because the json file is missing the basic structure which looks something like below.  I was hoping windows itself had some way to restore this file, which it does if I had created a restore point but nope didn't do that either. Also if it was actually a corrupted file it might be able to recover it, but its not corrupted.

{
"data": [
],
"version": 19
}

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report