Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking error, toolpath missing contours

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
brianagavin
327 Views, 9 Replies

Linking error, toolpath missing contours

When I create a toolpath for my project it is missing contours. The only way it will cut everything is if I put the lead in to 0, but that is causing the imperfections in the final cut. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Tags (3)
Labels (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
engineguy
in reply to: brianagavin

@brianagavin 

It would be best if you can upload a sample Fusion that is giving you the problem, go to :-

File > Export > Select Fusion Archive f3d format > Save to a location on your computer and then attach it to your reply.

If your problem as in the images is that you want the Contour to not violate the edge of the holes so that you get a clean cut all the way around the shape the I am guessing (Just guessing!!) that you need to change the side of the Contour that you want the Leadin/out to be, when you select the outline for your cut it will hightlight in Blue and there will be a Red arrow, if the Red arrow is outside the shape then the Leadin/out will be outside as in your images, to move it to the inside just click on the Red arrow and it will move to the other side of your slected shape !

Basically if the Red arrow is inside the shape then the Leadin/out will be inside the shape, and outside it will be outside!

Hope that made sense 🙂 🙂 🙂

Message 3 of 10
brianagavin
in reply to: engineguy

i Checked before and all of the arrows are on the inside, Let me get my computer open and I’ll upload the file.

Message 4 of 10
brianagavin

This is with it cutting the contours but leaving the marks on the side. If I add any lead-in, stock or change anything, really, it will give me a linking error.

Message 5 of 10
engineguy

@brianagavin 

Seen this before, try selecting the Contours instead of the Face, it is supposed to work correctly by being able to select inner/outer cuts but I believe there is a "bug" here, I think it was noted a while back but if not then hopefully an Autodesk employee will pick up on this. See images below, first one is your original file and the second is the Modified one I have done, also attached. Hope this helps.

tie down v4-NEW-Original.jpg

tie down v4-NEW-Modified.jpg

tie down v4-NEW-Modified-2.jpg

Message 6 of 10
brianagavin

I tried both ways a numerous times, while playing with the numbers. I did see a couple of similar posts while I was doing some troubleshooting of my own. I’m going to try creating two separate toolpaths and combining them. Hopefully that works, or hopefully someone from auto desk will be able to help!

thanks for your help, I appreciate it!

Message 7 of 10
engineguy

@brianagavin 

Now I am puzzled, did the file I uploaded for you not work at your end ??

It works fine here, I am assuming that you want to cut all the shapes out of the two larger pieces ??

Message 8 of 10
brianagavin

Yes, it still missed the same contours as before.

Message 9 of 10
engineguy

@brianagavin 

OK, looked at this again and it is your Model that is at fault, those two cutouts are not properly Modelled so will not select correctly.

Just for quickness I moved your two plates to the same location and joined them together, as one cutout worked in one plate and the other worked in the other plate joining them together has everything working!

Very crude way to get it to work but I was not about to start trying to re-build your models with all the moves/scales etc that you had done.

Not pretty but at least it now toolpaths, if you get the time I suggest you go back to the start and redo the models in a much simpler way !!

For now the attached file may just get you cutting, up to you to do all the feeds/speeds/heights etc, etc. Usual Caveat, use carefully and at your own risk 🙂 🙂 🙂

tie down working.jpg

Message 10 of 10
brianagavin

Thanks so much! I haven't really learned the fundamentals, yet; just kinda learning from my triumphs and mistakes as I go. I just started designing for the first time ever two weeks ago and made my first cut yesterday. A month ago, I had no idea what CAD/CAM even was! My husband came home one day and told me that he was bringing home a plasma cutter and that I needed to learn this program 😅 

I really appreciate your help!! Thanks, again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report