Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

license does not allow generating operations using "Tool Orientation", even though I am only using 3 axis milling.

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
pokwas
832 Views, 12 Replies

license does not allow generating operations using "Tool Orientation", even though I am only using 3 axis milling.

Hi

I'm one of the people who the license changes don't really effect- I only use 3 axis milling.

I have some shapes I want to cut out with my mill, but 2d contour toolpaths won't generate. The error gives

Your license does not allow generating operations using "Tool Orientation", despite me not using 4/5 axis or even changing any WCS.

I reproduced the error as simply as possible:

1. Start a new sketch, extrude a rectangle

2. Switch to 'manufacture'

3. Select 2D contour tool, select contour, ok

4. In tool selection dialog, create a new end mill, all default settings, hit OK

5. toolpath did not generate.

The option to use tool orientation is not even shown, so I can't turn it on or off.

I'm sure it's something simple I'm missing, but clicking and googling have gotten me nowhere.

(And thanks for keeping this pro-level software free!)

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
engineguy
in reply to: pokwas

@pokwas 

OK, looks like a "Bug", on opening your file I get what is in the image below so somehow the Tabs and Tool Orientation are somehow enabled in the background if as you say you don`t even have them as options in the Geometry selection area 😞

Are you on the latest update version 2.0.9011 ? If not try updating and see if that clears the issue.

If that doesn`t work try re-installing Fusion 360, there have been some odd things happening with the Licence changes 😞 😞

Orientationissue.jpg

If I now click OK then it toolpaths fine but I have a different Licence to you so get a different outcome, the above is all I have for you, you`ll need an Autodesk person to chip in on this one 🙂

Stay Safe

Regards

Rob

Message 3 of 13
seth.madore

I assume these files were all programmed before the changes went into effect? Is the file you provided just a sample of one of them, and you have other more complex files not yet shared?

While the Tool Orientation options are removed from the UI, they are NOT removed from the Compare and Edit window. It seems that photos are broken....again.

This doesn't give people a "backdoor" to turn Orientation back on, but it does provide a mechanism to turn it off

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 4 of 13
pokwas
in reply to: seth.madore

Thanks for the confirmation and check @engineguy. This is a new machine, so a fresh install. I'm *fairly* certain I did it post-changes, but it can't hurt to try again.

And thanks for your response, @seth.madore .

The example file was made after the changes went into effect- An all new file.

Every new file I start has this issue, as well as old ones (that already had orientation on).

I've looked into 'compare and edit', thanks for that. Seems like it will help but is definitely a workaround rather than a fix.

I wonder what it is in my workflow that is enabling it? Can I change the way I do anything?

Message 5 of 13
seth.madore

It sounds to me that your default setting is to have Tool Orientation turned on. Go back into Compare and Edit, search for Tool Orientation, click on the box to set it to No, right click and "set as default"

Seth Madore
Message 6 of 13
pokwas

There it is!

Thanks so much!

Message 7 of 13
jcs-ccs

Howzit Seth.

I have a similar problem, except I only have a hobby license . In my "Compare And Edit" I have tool orientation saying "yes" but it is greyed out so I can't edit it. I have just uninstalled Fusion and re-installed it. with it performing in the same way. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers 

Message 8 of 13
aboydGWUVW

I have the same issue with my older files. I cannot turn off tool orientation even though I did not use it originally.

How do we turn it off in Hobby mode?

Cheers,

Message 9 of 13
seth.madore

I don't believe there is a mechanism to change behavior on old files. If you want to share them here, I'm happy to turn it off for you 🙂

Seth Madore
Message 10 of 13
thane.buxton

I am unable to put a facing operation on a simple rectangular block. I get an error that tool orientation is not allowed in the free version.  I have tried to go into the compare and edit were it shows tool orientation as Yes, but it is grayed out and I am unable to change it to no.  

Message 11 of 13
seth.madore
in reply to: thane.buxton

@thane.buxton could you share your Fusion file here with the bad setting?

File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply.

The other option is to go into Manage and select this button:

2023-04-24_04h00_22.png

Seth Madore
Message 12 of 13
milsimlabs

I am now getting this error message when I create a toolpath from any of my saved  templates(but not when I create one from scratch) , open the edit and compare and tool orientation is set to no and in grey (uneditable) 
I have used these templates for several years with out issue,   its not doing it when i import a stock template from the F360 library

Hobby licence

Message 13 of 13
marty.pA6GEB

unfortunately exactly the same problem on a Hobby Licence:

using an "old" Toolpath template brings up the "Tool Orientation" error. 

Using same Template on an older computer - which unfortunately cant update anymore - no problems.

Compare and Edit: Tool Orientation is on "NO" and greyed out - therefore no chance to toggle it ON and OFF if that would help

In the Edit window under Geometry TAB - the Tool Orientation part has only the icon for subscription based feature

creating a new template works

but unfortunately all stored Templates have this error.

Is there a way to fix it - wouldn even mind if its a manually one to rescue the toolpath templates ?

Thanks already in advance

Cheers

Marty

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report