Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lead move in rest machining using 1mm ball crashes into stock

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
deutirium
192 Views, 4 Replies

Lead move in rest machining using 1mm ball crashes into stock

Title pretty much sums it up. This happened to me on two files derived from one another, although 6 other files that I've already machined didn't have this issue. The tool ignores a small piece of stock, despite the fact that later on in the same toolpath it goes ahead and machines it, meaning it recognizes it just fine. I've broken 3 ball mills already and have really lost confidence in my CAM. The parts are complicated so it's near impossible and entirely impractical to manually inspect each lead in/out for this issue. Is there a practical way to ensure I don't run into the same issue again ? I've attached screenshots and the two files.

deutirium_1-1700748716227.png

deutirium_0-1700748806439.png

Labels (5)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
seth.madore
in reply to: deutirium

Sorry for the late reply on this thread.

It does appear that reducing your Max Stay-Down to 10mm will create linking moves that do not result in excessive tool load/breakage.

That said, I've opened up CAM-50089 to investigate this issue. Thanks for reporting it, and apologies for the trouble its caused..

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 5
deutirium
in reply to: seth.madore

Thanks for the reply.
I've tested again now with a 9mm max. stay-down and the toolpath seems to be behaving correctly as one would expect it to. Is 10mm a specific threshold where there's a change in how the toolpath is calculated or how stock is percieved, or does that just happen to be the number that works in this situation? I guess my question now is: should I feel confident in similar toolpaths if I set my max. stay-down to below 10mm (in which case I'll just set this as my default) or would different geometries require different values (in which case I'd try to set a default to a much lower level, and only go up if I am able to manually inspect the entire toolpath). As you can see here my goal is not to machine this part in particular, but rather find the right parameters to be confident in my toolpaths for any similar part.

Thanks again, and I hope we're able to get this fixed!

Message 4 of 5
seth.madore

I would not state with any confidence that a value of 10mm or less would always result in a safe transition. I do wish that I could give you a better answer, but I'd rather wait for the above ticket to proceed thru the system before I spoke any further on that...

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 5 of 5
deutirium

For sure, thank you for your consideration, and please let me know if you require any additional info from my side, I have two very similar files where the same issue has occured. Would I be notified when the ticket is handled or would it typically be something that is mentioned as a (hopefully) minor bug fix in a new patch update? In the meantime, I'll try to stick with smaller values for max stay-down. Thanks again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums