Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lathe thread inserts

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
leo.castellon
96 Views, 3 Replies

lathe thread inserts

I don't do much lathe work and when it comes time to do threading in Fusion, for me, it is always an adventure defining a new insert since I don't do it much. I need to turn a 4-40 OD thread on some titanium, and I want to use this insert from Haas, ER16-40UN Carbide Threading Insert, Grade HU35T - Pack of 10 (haascnc.com). When I go to define the insert, I chose E for tolerance and R for cross section, thinking it is because it is an ER16 insert, but what the heck is thickness? In the graphic window, there is no picture of what it is defining, is it the IC of the insert? 

leocastellon_0-1704843094120.png

LeoC

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
seth.madore
in reply to: leo.castellon

It's this, and it's not quite necessary to be perfect:

2024-01-09_18h34_41.png

We're aware that there are shortcomings in the insert definition and are steadily chipping away at them..

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 4
leo.castellon
in reply to: seth.madore

Then what is width? 

And chipping away at it, is that like chipping inserts? 😁

Thanks, LeoC

Message 4 of 4
seth.madore
in reply to: leo.castellon

Change Thickness to something stupid and you get this:

2024-01-09_18h54_00.png

"Width" is related to rectangular inserts (like the grooving inserts, just with thread profiles). It's expected that Width is greater than Thread Pitch. You will see it have effect when you define that type of insert:

2024-01-09_18h56_03.png

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report