Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lathe: Grooving roughing on center?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
programming2C78B
234 Views, 7 Replies

Lathe: Grooving roughing on center?

see pics. Using a 2mm (.078) groover in .120 wide notches. I'd prefer if it grooved on center (or atleast somewhere down near the ID), but with a .078 Max Grooving Stepover it really keeps off the shoulder and doesn't even go into the groove, just the OD. Yes, my inner Radius is set to the smallest diameter face. 

With .04 stepover, it acts how I want but now I have almost 2x as many roughing plunges as actually necessary. 

Is there a better way to go about this that I dont see right now? 

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Grooving is one of the Turning toolpaths we're actively working on, so your struggles are not foreign to us and the work we're doing.

Would you be able to share your Fusion file here or privately?
File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply. To share the file privately, it's the same process, but email it to me: seth DOT madore AT autodesk DOT com

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 8

emailed 

Message 4 of 8

Yeah but you didn't send it to the email I described above 😛

(no worries, I found it)

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 8

With the tools we have out our disposal currently (Production version of Fusion), the best I can suggest is to use a "Single Groove" toolpath and some sketches to drive it:

2023-08-08_13h03_14.png

This will rough out the two grooves right on center and then you can go back with a full width Groove toolpath and finish it up. (turn on Rest Machining "from previous ops" to reduce the toolpath machine time a bit)

Seth Madore
Message 6 of 8

Thats what I did for now, just used each shoulder as the sketch with .01 axial stock to leave and ReST on the groove ops. Hopefully it gets sorted out quick! (Just like round boring bars 😉 )
Message 7 of 8

It's likely the case where Grooving is going to be solved before custom boring bars (Micro-100 style). As for "round" bars, that's what we have now. There isn't a toggle in the Library, but the graphical representation of the tool is round:

2023-08-09_08h43_59.png

Seth Madore
Message 8 of 8

programming2C78B_0-1691591411985.png

This is about as close as I could get, it has a 2* and 6* relief angle but I got it with 5*. We'll see this week if it cuts right.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report