Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lathe - Grooving is acting strange with this last update.

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
rwskinner123
351 Views, 14 Replies

Lathe - Grooving is acting strange with this last update.

I've done lots of these rods with a groove and it was working fine last week.  Now, on a wide groove, the grooving tool only goes to the total depth on the first pass, then the tool moves over, and only does a partial depth.  Any ideas?  I have to get this job out and might end up hand coding it, but rather not.

Appreciate the help in advance.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
seth.madore
in reply to: rwskinner123

There seems to be something going wrong with that model. Was this model created in another program, I'm not seeing a Design History, so it's my assumption that this is the case.

At any rate, I created a Sketch to drive the toolpath and it seems to be working better:

2023-02-05_12h43_21.png

Creating the model from scratch, no sketch is needed to produce a quality toolpath:

2023-02-05_12h46_51.png

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 15
rwskinner123
in reply to: seth.madore

It's an imported step file.  I deleted the radius on each edge, and now the grooving works as expected.  I'll try to add the radius back with Fusion and see what happens.

Message 4 of 15
seth.madore

When I did just that, I got this:

2023-02-05_12h32_10.png

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 15
rwskinner123

I don't know.  I went into design and deleted the groove from the model, I then cut a new groove using Fusion.  Grooving works great.  As soon as I add a filet or chamfer, the grooving tool path goes wonky.  

Message 6 of 15
rwskinner123

I just created a cylinder, with a groove from Fusion, and it cuts perfect until a filet or chamfer is added, then it goes nutzo again.  This was 100% done in fusion and this all worked perfect a week ago.  

Message 7 of 15
seth.madore

Is it any different than the "sample groove.f3d" file that I shared?

Seth Madore
Message 8 of 15
csl1016

Message 9 of 15
rwskinner123
in reply to: csl1016

Thank you for taking the time to do the video and find a solution using that model. I was able to follow pretty good on the groove and actually got mine working well, but I never could get the filet working right. I may have missed something from the video. The dialogs were pretty blurry on my end.

Your solution was pretty cool. You setup references based on values instead of surfaces. I imagine that helps fix things when using a distorted surface from the Step file.

This morning, I created a new body which was nothing but cylinder and groove (using your example) then created tool paths for that body so I could finish up this job today.

Thanks again for helping me see unique solutions.

Message 10 of 15
rwskinner123

My end solution was to change the dimensions on your sample to fit my model OD and Length, then positioned the groove in the proper place. Then I pointed my setup to that new body to drive the grooving tool path and it worked perfect. When I created a cylinder and then cut the groove, it was fine until I added a chamfer or radius. Each time, it distorted the walls of the groove. I hadn't seen that on all the others I've been working on so it threw me for a loop.
Message 11 of 15
seth.madore

Another thing that we just discovered with this part; turn off the new Spun Profile in your Preferences > Preview Features.

Once that is done, open up your Setup and click the OK button. Regenerate your toolpaths. Result:

2023-02-06_10h12_15.png

Seth Madore
Message 12 of 15
rwskinner123

Thanks.  I know lately I've been having lots of crashes during "Calculating Spun Profile".  Everything just locks up and stops responding, then the error message dialog pops up to report the issue to Autodesk.  I never had these until recently.  Related?

Message 13 of 15
seth.madore

@rwskinner123 wrote:

Related?

Possibly? When met with that window, do you submit crash reports?

Seth Madore
Message 14 of 15
rwskinner123

Yes.

Message 15 of 15
seth.madore

Good, the developers keep a close eye on those crash reports and are able to tie those reports to open tickets.

Seth Madore

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report