Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lathe Face Groving - AxialRetractDistance > axialStockHigh

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
accounts7JPEJ
213 Views, 5 Replies

Lathe Face Groving - AxialRetractDistance > axialStockHigh

I can not get this face groving operation to generate a tool path, I've look around seen a number of people with and with out solutions but none seem to work for me.

The settings in this file are not total messed up with my playing.

The tool is a HSS ground for the job.

Could anyone help me?

Thanks

Labels (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
MichaelD872
in reply to: accounts7JPEJ

A bit crude i know, but how about something like this?

Message 3 of 6
accounts7JPEJ
in reply to: MichaelD872

Hi,

I seem to do the job at a basic level. Are you able to explain what your changes were?

Thanks

Message 4 of 6
MichaelD872

The main change i did was to create a derived operation of your grooving operation.

And instead used a Roughing turning profile where i removed stock to leave.

Then i made some small adjustments to your Radii settings.

If this solves your problem and lets you make the part.

Please let me know 😉

Message 5 of 6

@accounts7JPEJ it will work if you set turning mode to "outside". face groove roughing is not a good workflow right now, and we realize that. we are very close to releasing a new groove roughing strategy that has an explicit face turning mode that will simplify your workflow.

Regards,

Akash Kamoolkar
Software Development Manager
Message 6 of 6
rroconr

Hello all. I have manage to machine the parts only 30 off required.

A couple of points.Setting "outside" did not work at all.

The changes made by michaelR5DNW allowed me to tweak things further and get it done with a lot of wasted movement.

The problem was that the path machined to the bottom of the groove and plunged smaller in the x direction requiring the face grooving tool to machine side ways making some nasty noises and putting the tool at risk. Changing the depth of cut to 0.2mm reduced the side plunge to manageable load and created many 0.2 cuts in the +X direction to achieve the groove width. I made a new Wider HSS side grooving tool to  reduce the number of cuts to 2 off and was able to get the job done. All very time consuming.

michaelR5DNW is correct. A better work flow for this type of operation is required
Thanks again

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report