Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep tool down

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
BeeAmaker
810 Views, 9 Replies

Keep tool down

Just wondering why there isn't an option to Keep Tool Down in the circular 2D operation.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
engineguy
in reply to: BeeAmaker

@BeeAmaker 

It is going down to the "Bottom Height" that is set using the Stepdowns and Passes as set by the user so it doesn`t need a "Keep Tool Down" option as it is doing that by default 🙂

Stay Safe

Regards

Rob

Message 3 of 10
BeeAmaker
in reply to: engineguy

Yes, but why does it retract completely before each pass?  Am I missing something?

Message 4 of 10
seth.madore

No, it's just the way the toolpath was implemented. I don't agree with it and I do wish it had been implemented with a bit more flexibility.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 5 of 10
engineguy

@BeeAmaker 

Hmmm, I stand corrected, just done a small test and you are right, it does keep retracting 😞

@seth.madore 

Thanks for that, I haven`t used it in a long time but I seem to remember that it did just go down level by level on Multiple depths ??

Maybe use the 3D Contour to Ramp down as a workaround ?

Stay Safe

Regards

Rob

Message 6 of 10
BeeAmaker

The Bore function will work, however I like the Lead to Center between each pass of the Circular function to clear out any small core that might be left over, just don't want it to retract. Bore has it also but only leads to center once on entry and again on exit at the bottom.

After thought, is there a comparison type chart for each operation?

Thanks

Message 7 of 10
seth.madore

No, there isn't a comparison chart, sorry.

One other thought though; you could also use a 2D Contour with your leads set to 135 degrees. Playing with the lead distance and radius (and carefully watching Simulation) will give you the ability to use "Keep Tool Down" and essentially replicate what a Circular toolpath does.

Seth Madore
Message 8 of 10
DS_P

Circular is nice for ball milling tapered bores on older machines (less code for same cutting moves).  It would be nice to keep the tool down with this (e.g, use a XY horizontal lead out, plunge down in Z to the next step down, then lead back in with XY and repeat).  Is there a way to get keep down enabled?

For example I'm cutting a 7:24 female taper (BT30 tool holder).  It is 300kb in 2d contour but about 105kb with circular with the extra z moves, both using 0.02mm stepdown. I could cut that down more and remove minutes from the cutting operation by just keeping Z down with the circular path.

Message 9 of 10
seth.madore
in reply to: DS_P

@DS_P Would he Bore toolpath not be a suitable option? Constant engagement, no lifting the tool?

Seth Madore
Message 10 of 10
DS_P
in reply to: seth.madore

Bore generates lots of small line segments which is not good in older
machines (lack of memory and also not much look ahead). Circular does each
stepdown as one arc move which is much smoother.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report