Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interpolating Countersink with 2D Contour - Never On Size

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
jonathanBUCVS
160 Views, 7 Replies

Interpolating Countersink with 2D Contour - Never On Size

I have been using 2D contour to interpolate countersinks for a while and I always have to adjust the H offset significantly to get the countersink on size, often as much as +/- .020. (If it were +/- .002 or so I wouldnt complain).

No other tools need as much adjustment.

If it was always the same amount, I would guess the Tip Diameter is defined wrong, but I would think a CNC ground tool would be pretty accurate.

I have been looking for a pattern in how much adjustment is needed but I cannot see one. Always using the same tool.

Anyone else have this issue or see something obvious that I am missing?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
seth.madore
in reply to: jonathanBUCVS

Hmm. Have you rerun the toolpath with no adjustment, and has that helped any? This would rule out tool or machine deflection..

Core Cutter tools, huh? You wouldn't happen to be in Maine, would you?

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 8
jonathanBUCVS
in reply to: seth.madore

All the time Ive been doing it this way, I'm not sure I have ever put a spring pass on it. Ill make some time next week to run a few tests cuts, I really want to get to the bottom of this. I scrapped a part Friday because I forgot to set the offset +0.020 and dial in the chamfer, so now its worth a study.

Not in Maine, but the shop has been using Core Cutter end mills for a while now, been working well for our needs.
Message 4 of 8
seth.madore

@jonathanBUCVS wrote:
I scrapped a part Friday because I forgot to set the offset +0.020 and dial in the chamfer, so now its worth a study.

Oh, I didn't notice you mentioning that it was cutting too big..

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 8
seth.madore

Are you certain that it's an 82 degree and not a 90? Do you have a comparator to measure the angle and the width of the flat at the tip?

Seth Madore
Message 6 of 8
jonathanBUCVS
in reply to: seth.madore

I usually add + length wear to get it on size.  I would be surprised if the tool was deflecting 0.010 on the diameter on the finish pass.

Message 7 of 8

@seth.madore Finally got a chance to run some sample countersinks in a solid chunk of scrap, various number of passes, tip offsets, even a plunge instead of a contour. They all turned out within 0.002 of each other (measured with a chamfer gauge). 

I suspect what happened was: we recently switched from a drill-mill to those CoreCutter 82deg chamfer tools. Those drill-mills never cut on size and the flute geometry was horrible. The first job I ran with the CoreCutter tool had a lot of material stress we were fighting in other operations, and I (hopefully) mistakenly thought the countersink issue traveled with the tool. 

Message 8 of 8
rengfx

You also should be adjusting your feed to account for a small internal circular toolpath

That 12inpm seems more of a straight line feed, could also be causing you some sizing issues

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report