Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inaccurate Cut

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
jburickJUFQ4
240 Views, 5 Replies

Inaccurate Cut

Hello!  I am trying to cut some flat pack furniture and while my drawing shows a slot that is .722" wide, when I go to cut on my CNC machine, the slot is being cut at a .678 width.  Is there a setting in the contour toolpath menu that I may be overlooking that impacts the cutting distance from the contour?  Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
seth.madore
in reply to: jburickJUFQ4

Could you share your Fusion file here, or a sample file that shows the same issue?

File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 6
jburickJUFQ4
in reply to: seth.madore

Thanks for the reply!  Actually, I went back and measured the cutting bit and it turns out the nominal diameter was .25" while the actual diameter was closer to .21".  I swapped that out with a bit that had an actual dimension of .25" and the cut was much more accurate.  Silly me.  

However, my question still stands in the sense that there are times when I would like to adjust the toolpath to tweak my tolerances for joints that I am cutting - like some sort of offset feature where I can quickly adjust how closely the cutting bit follows the toolpath.  Is there such a feature?  I have looked around but could not find one.   If not, no worries.  Thank you!

Message 4 of 6
seth.madore

Yes, the software certainly allows for this sort of adjustment, but your machine must also support it. What is your controller?

In Fusion, you're looking for "Cutter Compensation", which is on the "Passes" tab:

2023-04-24_10h21_51.png

Note; not all toolpaths have this option. 2D Contour, 2D Pocket (with "Finishing Passes" turned on), Bore, Circular, Thread have this option. Trace, Chamfer, and Engrave do not, nor do any of the 3D toolpaths.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 5 of 6
jburickJUFQ4

Oh that's great!  I have a Shopbot PRS Standard 96-48-6 with a 10270 RBK Control Box.

Message 6 of 6
matty.fuller

Stock to Leave values under the passes tab allows you to adjust the tolerance of a designed feature... you can enter negative values to remove extra, or positive values to leave more material on. For example, customer designs a housing or halving joint that's too tight... put a negative 0.1mm on the Radial Stock to Leave to widen the slots.

This is a different conceptual approach to the cutter compensation that @seth.madore explained, which could allow for an operator to calibrate for wear/sharpening at the machine without going back to the programmer as the machine control itself is doing the radial offset of the contour.

The two ideascan conceivably can be used in conjuction.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report