Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing an edited .tap file?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
WhiteRoomSkis
974 Views, 6 Replies

Importing an edited .tap file?

Can I load a .tap file that has been generated in fusion, but edited in a different program, back into fusion to simluate the cut?

Here's my situation. I am getting a Donek D2 drag knife. I am trying to use the free Donek Excel Macro to edit the

g-code that is generated by Fusion in order to add corner actions for the drag knife.

I have been able to successfully run the macro on some code and can see the Z changes that have been added to the code, so i think the macro is doing what it is designed to do.

Now I want to simulate my cut in F360 and view the tool paths to see what it looks like before trying it for real.

Is there a way to take the edited g-code and run it in F360?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

No, you can't do that, but you can run it through a Backplotter called NC VIEWER, available for free on the web

Seth Madore
Owner, Liberty Machine, Inc.
Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two.
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for the reply. I found a few g-code viewer on the web that you can paste in code to simulate. When I zoom in I can see the small z moves but I can't see any small arc as shown in the Donek video, so I'm not sure if this worked fully or not.

Message 4 of 7
bjw2018
in reply to: LibertyMachine

how can I view large scale g-code for 48"x96", sorry but I'm a bit new to cad work.
Message 5 of 7
seth.madore
in reply to: bjw2018

@bjw2018 I'm not sure exactly what it is you're asking, can you provide some additional context?

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 6 of 7
bjw2018
in reply to: seth.madore

So I have some files I'm trying to access but haven't been successful which led me to this thread, but still try to figure out how to view the .TAP files i figured out the viewing issue but would like to know if anyone has insight on how to open the cut files ( .TAP/ .MMG ) on fusion or if there's any other software that can be used.( I'm filling the position of my father for a family business where i can do cad work just not proficiently enough but its the CNC side is where I'm having the most difficulty also I don't have access to the master files so for now I'm relying of the flash drive with the cut files on it.)
Message 7 of 7
seth.madore
in reply to: bjw2018

A .TAP file is just a text file that should be able to be opened in any text editor. If you're trying to determine what is actually being machined by those files, you could try something called a "Backplot editor", such as NC-Viewer or similar

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report