Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Idea: Rest Machining From "Selected" Setup not "Preceding" Setup

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
FrodoLoggins
71 Views, 1 Reply

Idea: Rest Machining From "Selected" Setup not "Preceding" Setup

There's a million reason why this would be beneficial for me but for now a few. I'll try and update this post as I find new use cases but for now:

Sometimes I like to do all the roughing for my parts in dovetail jaws. That means I need 1 setup (per part) to create the dove tails in standard hard jaws, the next (per part) in dovetail jaws, and the next (per part) in standard hard jaws after flipping the part. 

Right now this is what my browser looks like. I do the A's first, then B's, then C's. That's a lot of swapping out jaws:

Screenshot 2024-02-22 at 8.37.35 AM.png

What I'd like to do is organize it so I post the first setup, then the second, then the third, and so on without reorganizing the setups in the browser or changing out my jaws so often. Like so:

Screenshot 2024-02-22 at 8.51.08 AM.png

It would also be nice to be able to add setups to folders (and even subfolders). If Fusion was mature enough I wouldn't need 20 operations per setup per part to make a perfect part but I do. And that makes for endless scrolling to find the setup I'm looking for. Closing setups doesn't help much when I have 20 setups already taking up most of my screen real estate.

It would also be nice to change the color of the setup item in the browser.

- Time Magazine’s Person of the Year 2006
- Apple M1 Max rMBP A2485 // Latest MacOS // Latest Fusion
- Usually working off files uploaded to Fusion as: Step, STL, SLDPRT. If it matters ask me.
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
seth.madore
in reply to: FrodoLoggins

Regarding "From Selected Setup"; I would absolutely LOVE this feature. It's one of the things I also struggle with in all the short run jobs I do tied in with the jaws and fixture work. We've (internal ADSK folks) spoken about this in the past, but I don't think there are any plans in the near term to improve on the behavior.

In most of the parts that you've shared, I notice that you often have multiple components involved and will program all of them in one file. This really isn't the ideal method of doing things, due to the behavior you mention above.

One file, one part, one batch of Setups. 

At most, I would expect decent success in having programs for jaws for all Setups of ONE component and the needed toolpaths for said component. Try to adjust your workflow in this manner and see if it makes things easier.

And yeah, constant scrolling sucks, big time. I was working on a project last year that had almost 200 toolpaths in it (it was a super complex part with loads of surfacing). Having to go back to the top to toggle visibility of a surface/sketch was....taxing, to say the least.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report