Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to preserve leads with Component Sources/Add

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
alchemymetal
237 Views, 6 Replies

How to preserve leads with Component Sources/Add

I am evaluating Fusion 360 with Nesting for plasma cutting. I can sketch a design, set up the profile with the leads exactly how I want them, and generate a .tap file while all in the same project. When I start a new project to create a nest of designs imported from several other design files, I do not know how to preserve the leads. I go to Component Sources/Add Sources and select the design to import. It adds the parts but resets all the leads from scratch. 

The tutorial videos generally show a design file with many parts in it and didn't mention leads when parts were added from an external file. For me, every design file only has one part - the piece of artwork varying from a few inches in size to several feet with many intricate cutouts. In the software I have been using, I create nests by pulling many parts (art files) from a "parts library" of them. The leads I set up originally come in with the part. The parts library is stored in a database so I can see/sort/filter by metadata tags I set on each piece to help me decide what to add. I am hoping to be able to easily build nests from my selection of hundreds of design files.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
seth.madore
in reply to: alchemymetal

Currently, all CAM data is stripped off of any XREF or Derive component. We are working on improving this experience, but it's going to take a bit of time.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 7
alchemymetal

@seth.madore  Thanks for confirming. This is a must have feature for a plasma cutting product. I have created this video to explain why it is important and what is needed, so that you can share it with the Nesting add-on product management. I was enjoying the Fusion product, the self-help, and the forum resources and leaning toward switching to it, but unfortunately it won't meet my needs.

https://youtu.be/5KeNPT2-5z8

Message 4 of 7
seth.madore

I think I may have partially misunderstood your question and intent. What I understood was you were looking to program an individual part and then insert it into another file and retain CAM data, is that incorrect?

Oh, and thank you very much for that video, it was helpful! (one note; volume is quite low)

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 7
alchemymetal
in reply to: seth.madore

The only time that I would need to pull in parts from different files with the lead data preserved would be to build a nest. I usually pull in several different pieces of artwork into each nest, depending on what needs to get cut that day. My goal is to be able to pull in different, unrelated files/parts into the nest without having to reset the leads. This makes building a new nest fast and efficient.

Message 6 of 7
alchemymetal

@seth.madore The Fusion 360 pre-sales support engineers I spoke with have confirmed that it won't meet the lead management requirements listed in the video. Otherwise it seems like a great product with great support and a large user community. Thank you for your help.

Message 7 of 7
seth.madore

Okay, thanks for getting back to me! While we likely don't have what you need at this moment, please keep your options open. We've got some work in progress that may likely solve most of your issues (I can't share more than that)....

Seth Madore

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report