Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to machine a stopped groove without the lead out going in the Z direction

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
djlunty
86 Views, 2 Replies

How to machine a stopped groove without the lead out going in the Z direction

Is there a way to machine the groove as in the screenshot without exiting in the Z direction at the left end of the ramp where the over hang is.  If I use trace the small over hang is cut when the cutter leads out in the Z direction.   I would like to start and end at the opposite end of the overhang.  The first setup would have the piece on its side and would be cut out using a contour tool path.  Piece would then be repositioned and the groove cut.  Alternatively the groove could be cut in the first setup - just takes a bit more work setting up the sketches for the tool path for the groove.  I have attached the file with both methods attempted.  The adaptive tool paths are for removing the material so it is easier to see what is happening.  On the CNC the adaptive toolpaths would not be run - just the contours and the remnant material would be manually removed.

djlunty_1-1704426504285.png

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
a.laasW8M6T
in reply to: djlunty

Using trace and an appropriate sketch you can cause the tool to pull away diagonally, you may need to adjust the sketch to get the correct motion

alaasW8M6T_0-1704437463191.png

It definitely is easier to do from the side however

see attached

Message 3 of 3
programming2C78B
in reply to: djlunty

you can simply use a 2D contour, make your lead out 180* with whatever length it needs to be to clear the overhang. No radius. 

If the tool is smaller then the arc, you can also select the entire "U" shaped top contour and treat it as normal.

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report