Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to keep CAM information when inserting a model into another

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Rafa_Navarro
242 Views, 8 Replies

How to keep CAM information when inserting a model into another

Hi there!

I'm creating a library of parametric and flexible models which always will be inserted into another models to create bigger compositions. With that, I get a pretty fast and powerfull way to draw some kind of flexible compositions, such as kitchen cabinets, wardrobes, etc.

I'm really glad with the performance of my models, at least to get the whole design of my compositions. Nevertheless, the great thing that I miss, is that every time I insert a parametric model from my library, I lose all the CAM information that is programmed for each component into those models, so I have to program component by component into the final composition.

So, is there any way to keep that CAM information set in the components of my models once they are inserted?

I have to say that I get what I'm asking if the models I insert are in the same project than the model of the composition, and they are inserted as linked. But this is not an option to me, because I need to make some "Combine" operations to some of those linked inserted models and I can't find a way to be allowed to do that. If I break the link to be able to combine, then I lose the CAM information.

So, another question is, is there any way to make "Combine" operations to linked models?

Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Tom.Hemans
in reply to: Rafa_Navarro

Hi @Rafa_Navarro,

I don't think what you're asking for is currently supported in Fusion (I'm happy to be proven wrong though). However, you could use Toolpath Templates to save the toolpaths you have already programmed and then reapply them in a different Fusion document (see this video).

Hope this helps,

Tom

Tom Hemans

Technical Consultant
Message 3 of 9
Rafa_Navarro
in reply to: Tom.Hemans

Hi Tom, thanks for your response.

Using templates is a good point to accelerate the workflow, but even that way, I have to remake yet the setup for each component into the assembly, and then, reasign the operations of the template to each geometry.

I guess what I'm asking for, is not supported right now in Fusion 360. It would be great it was considered to be implemented in the near future.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 9
jeff.pek

This is definitely something we have in the roadmap.

Jeff

Message 5 of 9
Rafa_Navarro
in reply to: jeff.pek

Can't wait to test it!!!! Is there an approximate date for the implementation? 🥰🥰

Thanks for going on with the improvemens!

Message 6 of 9
jeff.pek

Sorry, not yet.

Jeff

Message 7 of 9
Pabiuro
in reply to: jeff.pek

Hey, maybe something has change since 2021 in this topic? 😉

Message 8 of 9
seth.madore
in reply to: Pabiuro

@Pabiuro Sadly, this is still not possible. I know it's something that we are intent on solving, it's just a matter of "when".

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 9 of 9
Pabiuro
in reply to: seth.madore

Thanks for reply! Waiting for it. In my opinion you could bring many customers from furniture industry by adding that feature to basic fusion 360 and problably then get new customers for nesting addon 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report